Toronto TYSSE: Pioneer Village Station | 11.89m | 1s | TTC | aLL Design

The Star reports: Suburban Station Gets Hip Downdown Facade

c9764d1b4f91980c3e55b4dc816d.jpeg

dc97cc8a4eee863febb824b11104.jpeg

I'm so glad to see that Alsop didn't leave Toronto out of frustration as he had indicated.

If the TTC can afford his work... (the forever broke TTC!!!) then I'm optimistic that we'll see more of Alsop popping up around Toronto. OCAD became an architectural landmark the day it opened. This station will get a lot of international attention no doubt.

While it would be nice to get Downtown stations of this calibre, I'd much rather see stations integrated into lobbies of existing and new buildings, rather than dedicated single purpose station entrances.

Since it's Corten Steel, the patina will most certainly be regular steel rust-coloured, just as the renderings suggest.

457px-RichardSerra_Fulcrum2.jpg

Image-a-rama:

So here's a slightly bigger view of the new main entrance plan:

SteelesWExtViewMainEntCrop.jpg

And here's what we were originally going to get:

SteelesWOrigConcAerial.jpg

Very, very different, right? Why? Well between the first plan and this version, the location of facilities on the north side of Steeles had to be rethought as property negotiations with landowners ended up with a different plot of land being carved out for the station. On the south side of Steeles, changes to the road network were made to improve bus operations, and more thought was given to barrier free access from ground level through to the platform. For those reasons and others, an entire rethink of the project came about.

The new plan remains in the hands of Stevens Group Architects working with Will Alsop. We will start with a look at the grand scheme, and then move in. First, a quick reminder of where Steeles West is within the scheme of the entire extension.

sse_routemap1.jpg

We drill down and see the overall site plan.

SteelesWOverallSitePlan.jpg

We center on the intersection of Steeles and the Northwest Gate to York U. The main entrance to the station is now on the York Region side of Steeles, closer to the commuter parking lot.

SteelesWPlanAtGrade.jpg

Here's the full shot of the entrance. Corten steel wraps the building in a warm patina of precision-rusted steel. Hints of the York Region Transit Bus Terminal can be seen in the background.

SteelesWExtViewMainEnt.jpg

Here's what the inside of the entrance pavilion looks like: more Corten steel, with colour-matched porcelain in the "touch zone".

SteelesWIntViewMainEnt.jpg

Here's the longitudinal section of the station, with the main entrance to the left. Note the U-shaped ceiling of the interior space: it is meant to bring natural light as far as possible into the platform areas.

SteelesWLongitudinalSectn.jpg

We'll head straight through for a look at the TTC Bus Terminal at the southeast end of the station. First, the plan from above:

SteelesWPlanAtGradeTTCBusTerm.jpg

And the entrance, as approached from York U:

SteelesWExtViewBusTermEnt.jpg

Inside the terminal:

SteelesWIntViewTTCBusTerm.jpg

Let's go down to platform level now:

SteelesWIntViewPlatform.jpg

Look up, and you will notice the public art component of the station. It is called Lightspell, and it is by realities: united, a Berlin-based art studio helmed by brothers Jan and Tim Edler. Lightspell is an array of 62 light elements which will function as both artwork, and lighting for the station. Each array is capable of displaying all letters, numbers, and many special characters. As different characters require a different number of luminaries to be lit, the individual luminaries will have their brightness adjusted so that a consistent lighting level is maintained at platform level.

SteelesWArtworkPlan.jpg

SteelesWArtworkSweep.jpg

SteelesWArtworkEffects.jpg

All images courtesy of the TTC

It's all quite an ambitious and eye-catching plan, and it has an estimated cost to built of $159 million. Funding for the extension is secured, and is due to open in 2015.

A public open house will be held in March to take comments on the station design, finishes, and artwork. If you want to a bigger view of these images, and full text describing the project, the TTC's report can be found here.

Last edited:
Funding for the extension is secured, and is due to open in time for the PanAm Games in 2015.
In many places it's been written that the extension isn't scheduled to open until after the Pan-Am games. The construction schedule on the TTC website says that "Track, Signal, Fare Collection Systems, Communications and Integrated Controls Works continue until December 2015. Revenue Service for the extension is anticipated for late December 2015."

On the other hand we know that test trains were running on the Sheppard subway extension for months before opening. Perhaps there is some unspoken plan to open up one or two stations in a non-revenue mode for the Pan-Am Games 5-months early for the July 2015 fortnight?

Even after everything is 100% it takes time to commission. Does the extension even have any relevance for Pan Am Games locales? (I mean, aside from making it easier for Vaughanites to get downtown...)

Thanks, interchange, for the tour. I remembered seeing that white pod design for the station and was wondering what happened with it.

And chill, Accura. As discussed above, you likely will not have to pay an extra fare on the subway but only if you transfer to a YRT bus (or vice versa).

In many places it's been written that the extension isn't scheduled to open until after the Pan-Am games. The construction schedule on the TTC website says that "Track, Signal, Fare Collection Systems, Communications and Integrated Controls Works continue until December 2015. Revenue Service for the extension is anticipated for late December 2015."

On the other hand we know that test trains were running on the Sheppard subway extension for months before opening. Perhaps there is some unspoken plan to open up one or two stations in a non-revenue mode for the Pan-Am Games 5-months early for the July 2015 fortnight?

Sorry - you are right nfitz. I have changed the wording. Thanks!

Does the extension even have any relevance for Pan Am Games locales?
Yes, Tennis is at York University at the Rexall Centre. I also believe that Athletics and Rugby 7s have been moved there. The Steeles West station would be quite useful for all these events. It would be a shame if the new subway opens up only 5 months after the games.

Given that they'll likely have test trains running by July 2015, I would think it reasonable if they had (at least during events) trains running at least non-stop from Downsview to Steeles West ... even if they have nothing at Steeles West except the south entrance and ticket collectors instead of turnstiles. Not that much to do with TTC is ever reasonable ...

Yes, Tennis is at York University at the Rexall Centre. I also believe that Athletics and Rugby 7s have been moved there. The Steeles West station would be quite useful for all these events.

Based on where I believe the stadium for Athletics will be built (on the land just north of the hydro corridor, on the west side of Keele), the Finch West station would be more convenient for it.

Yes, Tennis is at York University at the Rexall Centre. I also believe that Athletics and Rugby 7s have been moved there. The Steeles West station would be quite useful for all these events. It would be a shame if the new subway opens up only 5 months after the games.

Given that they'll likely have test trains running by July 2015, I would think it reasonable if they had (at least during events) trains running at least non-stop from Downsview to Steeles West ... even if they have nothing at Steeles West except the south entrance and ticket collectors instead of turnstiles. Not that much to do with TTC is ever reasonable ...

I think you're oversimplifying things a little... I'm sure there's a whole bunch of commissioning and safety testing that will have to be done before they can allow any passengers in.

Besides which, I'm sure the demand for the Pan-Am tennis could be met by some express buses on the York U busway.

Back