Toronto Finch West LRT and TYSSE: Finch West Station | ?m | ?s | Mosiac TG | Arup

I care, and plenty of people care. Most people spend lots of time everyday on the subway system. You might get on a train after 5 minutes, but then for the next 10-30 minutes you're on the subway seeing other stations. The variety relieves the monotony of the experience. Besides, many people spend more than 5 minutes at a subway station. Some invariably wait for acquaintances on the platform, and people for longer periods of time for buses.

It doesn't make that big of a difference to build an attractive station in cost, unless the station is built with the image of an airport terminal in mind. It's size that adds more to costs than design. A lot of Sheppard line stations are huge (and were costly), but not that impressive, unless you compare them to the notoriously cheap and uninspiring Bloor Danforth line stations.

What uniquely designed stations add is civic pride and a higher level of appreciation for public transit and the city in general. Montreal's Metro really boosts the perception of the city, for instance, among locals and visitors. At the end of the day, the subway is a vital piece of infrastructure which hundreds of thousands use daily. It's a fantastic place to bring quality architecture and design into peoples' daily lives and neighbourhoods across the city.

Yes I agree, a nice station is great and pleasing to the eye, but if you can get an extra kilometer of track based on the price difference on all the stations, would you take that extra Kilometer? So far the cost differences on all the stations equal a kilometer of track. At the end of the day, it's more important for people to have transportation to and from work then something that is "contemporary" to a few people. With that said, I'm not trying to say we should make ugly 1970 styled stations, after spending a lot of time reading on this forum, someone made reference to many German transits stations being simple, stylish and cost effective. We can follow that same model and still have enough money to complete the job. At this point, this extension project is over budget.

Last edited:
You can tell they didn't put much thought into it because the knockout wall (which was likely originally to be used for a direct connection to neighbouring properties) is outside the "fare paid" zone.

Well maybe the Finch LRT Station will be open to free access with payment being made on the LRT vehicle itself.

Small update:

• Toronto's Government Management Committee received a report today recommending approval of the expropriation of a portion of 1150 Finch Avenue West to relocate utilities.
  • The relocation will make way for extension of Four Winds Drive and construction of a bus terminal ahead of the construction of Finch West Station

Some items of interest from the June 2 TTC Meeting:

Finch W Station
http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co.../June_2_2010/Reports/_TYSSE_Finch_West_St.pdf

AoD
About this:
RECOMMENDATION
It is recommended that the Commission authorize Contract Amendment No. 6 to The
Spadina Group Associates (TSGA), in the amount of $6,589,044.26 for the completion of
detailed design and support during construction for the Finch West Station, increasing the
total upset limit amount to $19,000,000 from $12,410,955.74.
Was this "upset limit amount" increase expected and reasonable?

Relocation of Fire Hall

As part of the Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension project: Work commences this month on the relocation of the Keele Street Fire Hall from its present location on the east side of Keele Street just north of Finch Avenue to the southwest corner of Keele Street and Murray Ross Parkway. Completion due by March 2011.

AmJ

Looks nice from the platform level. I'd like to see more bike parking though, considering the potential bike paths running through the hydro corridor. There is a secure storage room in the bus terminal, but I think there's potential for more cyclists to use this station.

Thanks.

So if you arrive by bus to the bus terminal but want to take the LRT, you'll be in a for a long walk....

Yeah. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any provisions at all for the LRT in the design. Seems like they just went 'LRT will be here....done.' I assumed it would be much better integrated...maybe that'll come later.

Inside Toronto article featuring the final design of the new Finch West Station that was the subject of an open house last Thursday:

New Subway Design on Display

b38982d9468cb132c044ad0bd3bc.jpeg

New subway design on display. Courtesy/TTC

TIM FORAN
November 22, 2010

The TTC will unveil its final design for Finch West Station at an open house Thursday, Nov. 25.

Finch West, located at Keele Street and Finch Avenue, is one of six new stations that will be built along the 8.6 kilometre Spadina subway extension from Downsview to Vaughan. Service on the $2.6 billion line is scheduled to begin in 2015.

The main entrance to the new Finch West station will be on the northwest corner of Keele and Finch, according to a conceptual design approved earlier this year.

Across the street, a bus terminal with an automatic entrance will be built on Keele just north of Finch. A 370-space parking lot will be built north of the terminal in the hydro corridor. (A larger 1,900-space parking lot is scheduled to be built at Steeles West Station, which will be located at Northwest Gate and Steeles Avenue above York University.)

A picture of the final design for Finch West's main entrance included on the TTC's website shows a colourfully striped, single-storey structure in a park setting.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/cityhall/article/906328--new-subway-design-on-display

Back