Toronto Tyndale Green | 80.29m | 24s | Collecdev-Markee | KPMB

OPA & ZBA application(s) submitted:

Development Applications

No project description yet.

Project description:
This application, along with a concurrent application for Draft Plan of Subdivision (21 169804 NNY 17 SB), proposes 15 residential and mixed use buildings, most of which would range in height from 5 to 8 storeys, with three buildings from 12 to 20 storeys. These buildings will accommodate 1504 units, 50% of which would be affordable rental, and 50% market rental. A total of 1,385 square metres of new non-residential gross floor area is proposed within Phase 1, including a daycare, restaurant, and flexible use spaces to be used by Tyndale University. A network of public and private streets, shared streets and a publicly accessible open space are proposed. Tyndale University would own the residential components, and would remain operational.

Markee Developments + KPMB Architects: 20 storeys

Massing and siting plan:

1623870463115.png

Rendered landscape plan (The Planning Partnership):

1623870530988.png

Open space plan:

1623870883073.png

1623871223971.png

Renderings:

1623869907874.png

1623870230382.png

1623870329740.png

1623870286668.png

Phasing plan:

1623870957032.png

Attachments

• 1623870723338.png
    1623870723338.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 144
Some great stuff in the Planning Rationale Report:

1623871385207.png

1623871413404.png

* gold stars for the above from me *

Also all affordable units here would be affordable in perpetuity!

I do take some issue w/this below:

1623871557069.png

I would strongly prefer the entire road be public.

1623871667506.png

1623871683220.png

* Hmmmm, I don't believe there is actually dedicated park space proposed on-site.

There is lots of greenspace on site, but it looks like wish to retain it as a private holding. Not so hot on that.

Last edited:
Article with some commentary from Keesmaat:

“This site presents an opportunity to create something that doesn’t exist today, and that is a community hub,” said Keesmaat, “and a community where you can do a series of things within walking distance, including for the existing neighbourhood today. There will be a coffee shop on our site and a bookstore and a daycare. There will be amenities within walking distance where they don’t exist today.”

The site will also be close to transit, including the Sheppard subway, and Keesmaat envisions separated bike lanes along Bayview Avenue.

“Bayview has a significant amount of space that could be allocated to a cycling lane,” she said. “It’s really only a short bike ride to higher-order transit on Sheppard if you have that separated bike lane. But right now there isn’t a bike lane.”

Keesmaat said it is important to note that the “majority of the site will not be developed.”

“Part of what we want to do here is thinking really carefully about how we can add some density in a very careful way while creating a community hub that respects the ravine landscape,” she said.

The next step for the project will be a preliminary report to North York Community Council.

Live in the neighbourhood and got a fancy flyer in the mail opposing this development. Facebook group with no names attached has popped up to oppose the development with a bunch misinformation.
Could you please post some PHOTOs / SCANs of the flyer..? Thx! Helps our Volunteers to track the various NIMBY groups around the City.

Thanks - Facebook page is the usual "End-of-the-World" / "Defend our Neighbourhood" stuff...

View attachment 342640

I really don't get why people can't express legitimate concerns without alarmism.
The matter of local school capacity is a fair question. Not one really resolvable by the developer here, it's a provincial matter, but I get that it's a fair ask from local families that they not require bussing for their kids due to overfull schools.

Overall this development is excellent.

There are legitimate matters to be raised though; and nothing wrong w/that.
But the apocalyptic nonsense is entirely unhelpful.

I really don't get why people can't express legitimate concerns without alarmism.
...because most of this local NIMBY stuff is emotionally-driven, and rarely based on logic or facts.

People who will voluntarily spend their free-time & money to have full-colour, card-stock flyers created and delivered... are generally "alarmists" & reactionaries... not moderates.

They are a tiny sub-set of these neighbourhood's residents - but they set the "tone" because of their over-wrought responses.

The matter of local school capacity is a fair question. Not one really resolvable by the developer here, it's a provincial matter, but I get that it's a fair ask from local families that they not require bussing for their kids due to overfull schools.

Overall this development is excellent.

There are legitimate matters to be raised though; and nothing wrong w/that.
But the apocalyptic nonsense is entirely unhelpful.
over capacity schools are a very standard thing in Toronto as the TDSB can't collect development charges to accommodate growth in high growth areas while schools sitting in outer Scarborough and Rexdale remain under capacity. So the TDSB has to bus students in order to accommodate until the entire school network is "full". It's stupid but is how the provincial development charges act is set up right now.

over capacity schools are a very standard thing in Toronto as the TDSB can't collect development charges to accommodate growth in high growth areas while schools sitting in outer Scarborough and Rexdale remain under capacity. So the TDSB has to bus students in order to accommodate until the entire school network is "full".

I'm aware of the issue.

Which is an entirely unreasonable imposition by the province.

Excess capacity in Rexdale cannot be effectively used by a school in eastern North York.

Given Toronto's growth rate, the TDSB should be holding on to the majority of its properties, with a few notable exceptions.
Some could be redeveloped and include a new school within, but it really isn't that many.

At any rate, the locals don't care why their kid has to be bused, only that they have to be bused.

That's understandable.

But again, really on the province.

Last edited:
If I saw a massive housing development was going up in my neighbourhood, yes, there would be legit reasons to be concerned.

I guess I just look at that flyer and am reading between the lines that AFFORDABLE and RENTAL are what they are hilighting. Who cares that it's RENTAL?
(Funny tangent: Almost right next door to this is a very nice RENTAL apartment complex so it'd be extra funny if they were among the residents concerned about all this. After all, RENTAL is one thing but AFFORDABLE RENTAL, now that's a whole other matter! Basically a homelessness camp, right? :) )

I can't tell if I'm paranoid and some us just see NIMBYism lurking behind every corner (or flyer) or if this is just a "normal" flow of information throughout the neighbourhood. Does seem it could be framed less alarmist, doesn't it, though?

Last edited:

Back