Toronto Two Hundred The Beach | 24.08m | 6s | The Riedel Group | Richard Ziegler

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Rendering

20111206051131twohundre.jpg

I won't miss that Ho Lee Chow on the corner.

The render looks like it should be more than 24 units. They must be quite large.

I wonder what kind of retail will go in here.

i catch the streetcar right in front of this in the mornings. It is one seriously loud corner, particularly due to lots of cars going south over the streetcar tracks at 60 km/h but heavy traffic in general with lots of noise from cars accelerating. any potential buyers would do well to experience that before they make a decision

This and One Rainsford should form quite a stylish pair on Queen. It's a shame that Pemberton's regrettable buildings on the south side left 5 consecutive blocks of dead streetscape and wasted opportunity though.

This is the type of avenue level, mid-rise densification the city needs.

But how long do you think it will be before the neighbouring detached home dwellers get up in arms about height (even though only six storeys), parking, traffic etc etc etc. the usual concerns.

This and One Rainsford should form quite a stylish pair on Queen. It's a shame that Pemberton's regrettable buildings on the south side left 5 consecutive blocks of dead streetscape and wasted opportunity though.

Completely sterile and unused. A shame indeed.

Last edited:
It's a shame that Pemberton's regrettable buildings on the south side left 5 consecutive blocks of dead streetscape and wasted opportunity though.
Yes, though the bizarre prohibition on restaurants in those buildings is a huge problem, and rather odd given the amount of Green P parking behind the buildings. Removing that prohibition would at least start filling up some of those units.

Ironically, walking down Queen, the piece that feels the loneliest is the piece of park between Northern Dancer and Kingston. I'm all for parks, but would the streetscape have worked better with a small strip of 2 story stores there instead of the park (which would still be huge with that cut out. Though perhaps just better streetscaping without the ultra-narrow sidewalks and lack of trees would do something ... how did such a travesty of a park ever get approved?

Not really sure what the point of the city objecting to this is. Looks pretty benign for the intersection of 2 major arteries with excellent transit. Probably says more about the new guidelines for development than anything else.

Yes, though the bizarre prohibition on restaurants in those buildings is a huge problem, and rather odd given the amount of Green P parking behind the buildings. Removing that prohibition would at least start filling up some of those units.

Ironically, walking down Queen, the piece that feels the loneliest is the piece of park between Northern Dancer and Kingston. I'm all for parks, but would the streetscape have worked better with a small strip of 2 story stores there instead of the park (which would still be huge with that cut out. Though perhaps just better streetscaping without the ultra-narrow sidewalks and lack of trees would do something ... how did such a travesty of a park ever get approved?

Not really sure what the point of the city objecting to this is. Looks pretty benign for the intersection of 2 major arteries with excellent transit. Probably says more about the new guidelines for development than anything else.

This park, as a whole, particularly in the south is quite appealing, a wonderful fountain, a wetland (stormwater pond), forest, a concert venue etc.

The north-easterly portion you bemoan was actually meant to be for a new school for the Beach area. At the time of planning every school in the beach was portable laden and the need for a new school seemed quite pressing.

The combination of changing demographics, but also what amalgamation has done to how new spaces are funded are the provincial formula means a new school is now quite unlikely, at least in the near term.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/boardroom/bd_agenda/uploads/generalinfo/70216 vacant closed.pdf

You'll find it under 'vacant land'

I'm uncertain, but I don't believe it has been designated for disposal.

The shortage of trees is due to the the future footprint of a school and a playing field.

The north-easterly portion you bemoan was actually meant to be for a new school for the Beach area. At the time of planning every school in the beach was portable laden and the need for a new school seemed quite pressing.
Really! I didn't know that. That at least explains why it looks so badly designed compared to the rest of the park.

Though I can't imagine what they were thinking. There was (at least back then) the long-closed Catholic elementary school (Corpus Christi) about 500 metres just north of there near Edgwood and Dundas. They've knocked it down now, and are turning it into condos. Surely it would have made more sense to just transfer that land to TDSB, if they really needed another school. Though with increased gentrification in the southern Beaches and the sky-high prices as you get close to the lake, I can't imagine that enrolment is climbing at the elementary level. Or do they think they need something at the Secondary level for the larger area, other than Monarch Park or Malvern?

Back