Toronto Twenty Condos | 21.64m | 7s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread for this, but not found.

Looks like Streetcar Development has bought up the whole block like I hope and this is the next phase of it.

This leaves the last 2 buildings at Peel as well the 2 houses on Peel.

Way too much parking here.
9464077102_f5167681ca_b.jpg

9461299433_07a20e995e_b.jpg

9464081086_3aa1afe033_b.jpg

9464089148_bc3f61ba91_b.jpg

The units on the ground floor here are all live/work units

Those renders are a dog's breakfast, the proposal looks like a compressed, Amsterdam-ized version of Jameson Ave in Parkdale. I hope the final design matures quite a bit, because it's been exciting watching the northward march of development along this street. Aside from that, I'm personally glad to see those terribly uninspiring houses go.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel that this proposal is a bit worse than the buildings it evokes, in that the heights of the individual blocks are not consistent, and that set-back portion at the top seems to span 4 or 5 of those blocks. It just looks a bit messy to me, and I much prefer the use of brick in the previous two projects, which seems a respectful choice towards the historical Gladstone hotel.

This leaves the last 2 buildings at Peel as well the 2 houses on Peel.

googlemap-view.jpg

1 Peel Ave., the small white bungalow with tandem parking on the side, sold earlier in the summer for a few thousand over its $399,000 asking price, I believe.
http://www.ivrtours.com/brochures.php?tourid=14717&design=3
Don't know if this was bought by the developer.

3 Peel Ave., the steel structure next to it, is Rhed/Del Terrelonge's Citizen House which was supposed to be the satellite extended stay villa to the Templar Hotel. The construction halted two years ago and the 3-storey steel frame skeleton still stands rusting away. I wouldn't be surprised if this site is sold to the developer as well, considering Rhed's troubles in their other pipe dream developments (Langston Hall 1 & 2, Wellington Street Lofts and Templar Lake on the Mountain).

This new development will make for a really nice enclave to the neighbourhood.

Attachments

• googlemap-view.jpg
    googlemap-view.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,914
...Gee, they must have thrown some big bucks for those shacks, and puzzles me how the developer was able to buy the whole lot:confused:

Many of the older Portuguese/Italian community are selling their homes right now, and I've seen older people in front of these homes. This development is part (or symptom) of a generational turnover.

Gotta love Streetcar, in fact I'm living in one of their buildings right now (although I'm moving in a couple of months, to a house pretty close to this new development in fact). Any other developer would have built a big, hulking, uniform mass, and I think it's great the way the variations in the design make it look like an organic thing. The scale is right for the neighbourhood, too. Love it.

Attachments

• 20G_Rendering1_09032013-JPG-FINAL-LR.jpg
    20G_Rendering1_09032013-JPG-FINAL-LR.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,892
Tenants and owners are moving out of these houses now to the point all utilities are being cut off and removed from the property.

Demo is to start shortly.

No to the corner and see new thread for it.

Back