1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 674     0 

Toronto TV shows are better urban designers

carrefour

Member Bio
Reaction score
Being Erica Forms a Future Perfect

I found this blog entry on Torontoist quite interesting. It is talking about the (quite good) CBC show Being Erica set in Toronto features the protagonist travelling into the past to learn from her regrets. The last episode was a twist that took her 10 years to the future. Toronto in 2019.

The blog posts states : "In one of Erica's involuntary encounters with Dr. Tom, she finds him looking for directions on a touchscreen directory in the park next to Roy Thomson Hall. Since Astral Media's street furniture contract will still be effect by then, it seems like they've upgraded their craptastic InfoToGo pillars."

They feature news headlines, time, and red dots showing transit moving at real-time.

My favourite comment is by the articles author:

It really says something when a quickie map mocked up in the show's art department for something that really only appears in the background is still less confusing than the maps on the actual pillars. I can't even read the street names or see what the red dots are on the map behind him, yet it's still clearer and makes more sense!

There is also a brief flash of Erica against the Toronto skyline in the future and I'm sure I saw some pretty funky skyscrapers. I guess we turn away from the Toronto style at some point in the next few years...

I guess CBC does have some knack of representing T.O. in a classy way. And making some interesting shows (last time I watched CBC was Just for the Laughs. Since last year, I avoid watching TVS)

The resemblance is eerie

Being_Erica.jpg

anniversary_blend_featured.jpg

Back