Toronto Towns of Islington Village | 13.91m | 3s | Distrikt Development | S&C Architects Inc

This is a great addition of density.

Impressed that the proponent was able to assemble 9 detached lots together for this.
How does something like that typically work? Did the developer own a bunch of the houses and just sat on them for years until the remaining few houses were up for sale? Did the developer approach all the home owners at the same time and made them a deal they couldn't refuse?

I imagine the home owners probably asked for well above what the house would typically be worth if put on the market.

What I like about projects like these is that they reduce the amount of single home driveways that connect/ backup onto "semi-busy" or "busy" roads. I used to visit a friend who lived in a house on a similarly busy road, and I remember whenever I was leaving, I'd be stuck on the end of his driveway for like 5-8 minutes waiting for a gap in the traffic that I can back out onto.

There's a lot in there to unpack.

I would suggest some of it is noteworthy.

My interpretation/paraphrase:

The Tribunal has clearly moved to state it will no longer consider the 'Neighbourhoods' designation in isolation; and that some intensification along major roads so designated is to be expected in order to achieve compliance with
other OP and Provincial Policy directives.

The yellow belt is cracking.

Last edited:
There's a lot in their to unpack.

I would suggest some of it is noteworthy.

My interpretation/paraphrase:

The Tribunal has clearly moved to state it will no longer consider the 'Neighbourhoods' designation in isolation; and that some intensification along major roads so designated it to be expected in order to achieve compliance with
other OP and Provincial Policy directives.

The yellow belt is cracking.
Notable quotes (…pst…developers have your lawyers get on that “Expanding Housing Options in Neighbourhoods” report):

[40] As has been mentioned, s. 4.1 of the OP states, “physical changes to established Neighbourhoods must be sensitive, gradual and “fit” the existing physical character. A key objective of this Plan is that new development respect and reinforce the general physical patterns in a Neighbourhood. The Tribunal accepts, as opined by Mr. Grinyer and Mr. Kasprzak, that the foregoing does not require replication, but requires that any new development “fit in” harmoniously without unacceptable negative impacts to what is existing. The objective is to ensure that new development is of a physical character in keeping with the spirit of what is already present.

[63] The Tribunal considered the Proposal in relation to the criteria in Policy 4.1.5 both individually and cumulatively. While there is no question that what is proposed is different from what prevails in some respects, especially in the immediate context of the Neighbourhood interior, The Tribunal finds the Appellant has demonstrated, on balance, that the Proposal respects and reinforces the prevailing physical character of the Neighbourhood as the neighbourhood has been identified and characterized by the Tribunal upon all of the evidence.

[115] Mr. Grinyer testified, and the Tribunal agrees, that the OP represents a long-term vision of a City capable of adapting to changing circumstances and meeting challenges as they arise. He described the current challenge of a lack of housing options within the City, highlighting a “missing middle”, which has resulted from past development trends favouring, at one end of the spectrum, high rise apartment buildings and at the other, low rise detached dwellings. As a result, a range and mix of housing options in between the two is lacking, which is an obstacle to attaining the objective of providing the City’s residents with complete communities.

[116] The word complete is defined as having all necessary parts, elements, or steps - it connotes that nothing important is missing. In order to rise to the challenge of providing complete communities, there must be some degree of evolution to fill in the “missing middle” and this evolution must necessarily take place in Neighbourhoods, given that 70% of the City is designated as such.

[117] Mr. Grinyer referenced a City Council directed Land-Use Planning report commenced July 2019 and adopted by Council in 2020, titled Expanding Housing Options in Neighbourhoods. This City report warrants weight in this analysis given its relative recency and its recommendations to review (and, if necessary, amend) relevant policies. The most notable is the contemplation of City-initiated rezoning on suitable sites along approximately 250 kilometres of major streets within Neighbourhood designations and the recognition that the OP may require amendments in order achieve the goal of increasing housing options within Neighbourhoods. While the Tribunal is cognizant that the report references City-initiated projects, there is no wording to suggest that private development projects contributing to the achievement of this goal will not be considered.

for anyone interested on the lot sold prices/dates, can't find the other lot prices , possibility they were purchased pre 2003 HouseSigma's data base
20211020_020046.png

20211020_020119.png

20211020_015936.png

There are no new renderings added to the database! There are some new changes to the project information. The total unit count changed from 34, 32, 4, 4, 4, 4 units to 32, 28, 4,4,4,4 units. The total parking count was reduced from 100 parking spaces to 98 parking spaces. Overall building heights changed from 13.60 m, 13.54 m, 12.35 m, 12.35 m, 12.26 m, 12.20 m to 13.91 m, 13.89 m, 12.35 m, 12.35 m, 12.26 m, 12.20 m.

Project website:

Developer here is seeking to move ahead w/demolishing the existing homes (all currently vacant) ahead of having the permits in hand for the new build. Though they do appear to be quite close on that.

Flew over the site this morning and demolition is almost complete. Interestingly, fencing has been up around the plaza to the south since the summer but nothing has happened there yet. Photos of both sites to follow.

Back