Toronto Tower at Pier 27 | 114.9m | 35s | Cityzen | a—A

No highrise, unless something has changed. Twins of the first phase, just a story taller (so 14 stories).

The site plan approval for the site allows for two mid-rise buildings. It was discussed in this thread earlier that the developer put the land up for sale, though it was advertised as "shovel ready" meaning the purchaser would presumably be building buildings in substantially the same form as set out in the site plan approval. It's unknown (to me at least) if the land sold, so it seems possible the developer could still go ahead if the offers (if any) for the land didn't mean a sale makes sense.

For what it's worth, even if a new developer came in and bought the land and sought to get a new site plan approval, I doubt another high-rise would be approved for the site. First, that seems like it'd be a lot of density for the site. Second, I believe the tower here was approved back in the early-mid 2000s, and based on what is being approved in the equivalent lands down Queens Quay East (see the heights of the Waterfront Innovation Centre, the Arbour, and the T3 Bayside buildings) it doesn't seem like the current planning rationale would allow for the approval of a tower that close to the water.

Last Sunday.
58CE4D86-DC65-45EA-8591-C69CC4C4C931.jpeg

Where is the focal point?

it took me 7 minutes to figure out which highrise were you guys talking about. LOL!

very nice design but the tower is very white. i wish there was a bit of more color in it. white is the new green in Toronto.

I've been told that Cityzen, the developer of the first three phases, is severing the empty lots on this site from the tower under construction (apparently they're all part of the same lot) for the purpose of selling them so that another developer can finish the project (i.e. by building the two 14 storey towers). Sounds like it's a business decision. The last two towers/lots are probably too small to make it worth it for a developer like Cityzen when they could redeploy their time/money on larger projects.

Hopefully the final two towers get built sooner rather than later, though, would like to see this lot finished and the park built along the Yonge Street slip.

Back