Toronto Tower at Pier 27 | 114.9m | 35s | Cityzen | a—A

P1080434.JPG
P1080430.JPG

Certainly not at all what aA originally promised:
View attachment 166425

aA didn’t “promise” anything and if you think that’s what that rendering indicates, then you have a lot to learn about condo marketing.

UTers also have the idea that there is eventually a “final design”, whereas people in the industry will tell you there is no “final design” until construction is done and as-built drawings have been completed. It will always be that way, that’s just the nature of architecture and construction.

Ya they should have been holes not dots for one. And they were depicted in white. Not any color tones. The old switcheroo.
The frit is white, and the glass is reasonably low iron glass. Look to the corners where you don't have multiple sheets of glass on top of each other: that light blue or green is taking several sheets to appear. There will be a marginal tint at best on balconies, but no doubt it will be picked up on sunny, blue-sky days.
It's not just reversing holes vs. dots. I was always assuming it will be perforated metal instead of glass. But once I saw the metal railing frames they were putting up, it became apparent to me that they were going for glass instead. The metal frame had typical rubberized suspension attachment points for glass. I think my hopes are slowly turning into a disappointment with this one. The materials are not what they should have been.
You've misread the rendering. It is only suggestive of the holes in a fritted grille letting light through glass as the exterior of the balconies are 1) shown with reflections on them, and 2) because the shadows cast by the balconies are lighter than the shadows cast by solid objects. That the frit has been reversed is a minor change from what's not a legal document anyway: I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on that.
The way the balconies are rendered in that image above with some reflectivity indicates to me that the plan was always for glass, since perforated metal exterior panels in a gloss white finish would probably be crazy expensive. You can see reflections of the patio furniture in the railing panels, and the reflection of the hand railing on the inside was even rendered.

The only thing that’s changed is the frit pattern, which is slightly disappointing.
…and from the street, the difference between fritted dots and punched dots will be negligible: the balconies will likely appear as a translucent milky white not unlike on Exhibit or Festival Tower. Residents will likely appreciate having the dots as frit, as with the clear parts being the connected grille, they'll have a better view of the world beyond their balconies.

You've misread the rendering. It is only suggestive of the holes in a fritted grille letting light through glass as the exterior of the balconies are 1) shown with reflections on them, and 2) because the shadows cast by the balconies are lighter than the shadows cast by solid objects. That the frit has been reversed is a minor change from what's not a legal document anyway: I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on that.
We can get into full-blown moon landing hoax conspiracies if we start analyzing the patio furniture reflections and the exact brightness of the shadow elements. My opinion that this was going to be perforated metal was just that - a mistaken opinion based on how opaque the material looked on all the renderings (not just the one in my post above). As far as reflections go, high gloss paint? Anyways, it is a moot point by now. It is what it is. I am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here, I am not outraged by the glass as it is. All I was saying is that for me personally, every material choice for this building fell slightly short of the expectations that I had, hence my slight disappointment. As an outside observer I would have liked to see opaque balconies, not milky while. I can totally see how the opposite is true for the residents who are actually paying for this building being constructed though.

I rode by last night and balcony glass had been installed on the second floor north side of the building.
yesterday:
20181210 Pier27 1.jpg
20181210 Pier27 2.jpg
20181210 Pier27 3.jpg
20181210 Pier27 4.jpg
20181210 Pier27 5.jpg
20181210 Pier27 6.jpg
20181210 Pier27 7.jpg

"Milky white" is quite right. On a perfectly grey overcast day, there is only a hint of bluish green tint to the glass at very specific angles, otherwise looks pretty clear/white. Hopefully it looks the same on a sunny day with bright blue skies.

Despite all the Zig-zags and what not, this project has been on City Place level quality
The glasses are pale gray and sterile, but no one is keeping an eye on this eyesore on the waterfront.

Last edited:
This building facade Colours looks simular to the lighthouse Tower down the street ! I guess it's going to be the new trend for some of the Lakeshore condos that are going to be popping up right now !

Back