Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

FA7CCC42-338D-451D-B939-DE5DC86B0527.jpeg

So, the reason they haven't excavated the southern portion of the site to the same depth is because ??
Presumably because of cost of remediation and that is why (as discussed above) most of the parking is above grade. The site is polluted/contaminated so they got permission to cap it and if you look at the @evansdyk photos above you can see the black 'roofing felt' they are laying on top of the thin (?) concrete layer that have poured. I assume that they will be pouring a 'normal' concrete 'basement floor' on top of that in due course.

They're capping the top of the contaminated soil like Market Wharf down the street, but what's protecting us when the water table rises due to sustained rain storms and melting snow, both of which are increasing in severity and frequency? Will residents be treated to a chromosome-damaging chemical soup emerging from the ground in the coming decades?

I've been involved in a number of brownfield site remediations and subsequent developments, and I've never experienced the strong smell of petroleum that I experienced driving past this site today with my windows and sunroof closed.

I've been involved in a number of brownfield site remediations and subsequent developments, and I've never experienced the strong smell of petroleum that I experienced driving past this site today with my windows and sunroof closed.
Probably because they are currently excavating the final (centre) section of the site . There used to be oil tanks on at least part of the site and when they were doing the earlier excavation you could see a black line about a foot thick that was, I assume. oil.

Back