Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Last Wednesday 7:08 pm as @evandyk noted the late night excavation. There was a slight smell on the Esplanade.
I assume the old vent pipe was there for a reason and not for the birds. I wonder what the future holds for venting off gases?
37F70461-6CA1-4A5C-8AC8-5DEDECAC2AB3.jpeg
E192CA50-6E24-4DCA-8E8C-E68CAA7D07AB.jpeg
28EA8128-280F-44A3-9FFB-0A898B05AE98.jpeg

/\ Correct. There are large storage areas on the interior of each above-grade parking floor. Plenty of room for storage, lockers, etc.

/\ Correct. There are large storage areas on the interior of each above-grade parking floor. Plenty of room for storage, lockers, etc.

While not previously aware of the design of the building to have parking, storage locker, and bicycle storage areas above grade, my major concern was over the timelines being hoped for / anticipated for a building of this size and complexity. A condominium building is a lot more than assembling some standard floor forms, pouring concrete, moving the forms up to the next floor, etc. - rinse and repeat until the building is topped off. All the technology and building support services infrastructure has to be installed, tested, commissioned and appropriate sign-offs and certifications obtained. In fact, having the various types of storage - parking, bicycles and lockers above grade could well add to the timelines needed to construct the building - similar to what has taken place at the Tea House project (although Time and Space does not have to contend with a subway tunnel under the building).

I also realize that a number of the items identified above individually may not require a lot of space - but there may well be issues of location, proximities and access paths to the various components for a building this size. Having only one floor below grade may simplify some issues, but may result in design choices, compromises, for others.

Again - the major point intended by my comments was not about the layout itself, but that there is no way that this building, with just under 1,600 units, can be completed, to the point of initial occupancy, in a year and a half from now. Not when the pictures immediately above by mburrrr (post 653) and Evandyk (post 654) show that a portion of the site is still at grade.

Yesterday I noticed that the workers pouring the concrete into the base of the pit are all wearing white protective cover-alls and that they are covering the new concrete with what looks like a layer of "roofing felt". I assume this is the 'capping' of the still polluted soil below and that they will (in due course) be pouring a 'regular" concrete basement floor on top of the 'felt".

Interesting. So it sounds like they are more or less "bathtubbing" it to prevent leakage of the contaminated soil into the garage. Very unique approach.

They're not legally required to remove contaminated soil? Do they, at minimum, need to inform buyers (prior to signing) that they're not removing that soil.

They're not legally required to remove contaminated soil? Do they, at minimum, need to inform buyers (prior to signing) that they're not removing that soil.
They are legally required to make the soil safe as per government regulation. They have disclosed the soil issue in the contracts. The contaminated soil is an issue for the entire area, not just this lot. The zoning has changed from industrial to residential for the area not too long ago, as the required wait time for the contaminated soil to become livable had passed. I believe Sugar beach had the biggest contamination concentration, so if that's safe, so is this.

Yes, there were and are certainly other sites with contaminated soil in Toronto; some remove it all, others seal it in. Market Wharf and Time & Space decided it made them more $$ to seal the site and build above grade parking. 158 Front just opposite T&S excavated to bed-rock (and more) so they have below-ground parking.

Back