Time and Space Condos | 102m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Kenojuak

Member Bio
Reaction score
I assume this is the third crane (at southern end of the site)
LOWER SHERBOURNE ST From THE ESPLANADE To FRONT ST E

Toronto-TMC: Full closure erecting a tower crane

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame:Continuous

From Dec 7, 2019 at 07:00 a.m.

Until Dec 7, 2019 at 07:00 p.m.

Impact:Moderate

Road Class:Minor Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Lift All Crane Rentals

ID:R115754
Yep. Third crane. Some nice shots posted above and here’s one more.
7B0DE58E-C427-4D04-8C84-D0BB56003EF3.jpeg

Now I’m curious: what source was that closure notice from?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Now I’m curious: what source was that closure notice from?
From the City's list of upcoming road closures (not 100% accurate but often has interesting info).

reactx

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't mind the different design concepts too much. It does fine in breaking up the shear mass of the overall structure which gets mandated by the development. This IMO is like the Carnaby condos (Queen West & Gladstone) on steroids.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't mind the different design concepts too much. It does fine in breaking up the shear mass of the overall structure which gets mandated by the development. This IMO is like the Carnaby condos (Queen West & Gladstone) on steroids.
So, you are saying that because a developer decides to build a massive building they should simply scatter many different 'design elements' around it so that we don't notice? The problem with this building is that it is simply TOO LARGE for the neighbourhood it is in and no number of varied design elements will disguise that sad fact.

Kenojuak

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, you are saying that because a developer decides to build a massive building they should simply scatter many different 'design elements' around it so that we don't notice? The problem with this building is that it is simply TOO LARGE for the neighbourhood it is in and no number of varied design elements will disguise that sad fact.
Why exactly is it "TOO LARGE for the neighbourhood"?

Kenojuak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Take a walk around, this very tall building (for this part of the City) occupies a whole (large) block is in a mid-rise neighbourhood.
Sorry, but that is a feeling, not a reason.

Edit: I've been thinking about your post, and I do see your point about it being a whole block. I initially interpreted your comments as referring to height. This site could have been massed more elegantly. Guess we will see the final product soon enough.

Last edited:

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
We're stuck with something this large here because this was what the developers were able to get through the OMB in 2016. So, why would we not want a building with an articulated facade that breaks its massing down into more readable volumes? The alternative is likely something so monolithic as to be entirely overbearing.

insider87

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's not really my style; I happen to think this building's design is inappropriate for the neighbourhood into which it is being shoe-horned and am sorry the design is somewhat of a mish-mash and not more ''respectful' of its location.
doesn't matter. we need places where the rich can invest money. aesthetics can bee sacrificed.

torontologist

Member Bio
Reaction score
doesn't matter. we need places where the rich can invest money. aesthetics can bee sacrificed.
Lol. If we can't even expect the people who can afford it to invest in decent architecture, then there's no hope for this city.

I like when people complain about architecture. It shows they care. Toronto needs more of that.

dusk

Member Bio
Reaction score
As someone will have to see this building almost daily, I think my largest concern is the quality of the glass / panels they use. I can forgive the size if the materials are high quality. Let's cross our fingers.