Time and Space Condos | 102m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

ak91

Member Bio
Reaction score
They're not legally required to remove contaminated soil? Do they, at minimum, need to inform buyers (prior to signing) that they're not removing that soil.
They are legally required to make the soil safe as per government regulation. They have disclosed the soil issue in the contracts. The contaminated soil is an issue for the entire area, not just this lot. The zoning has changed from industrial to residential for the area not too long ago, as the required wait time for the contaminated soil to become livable had passed. I believe Sugar beach had the biggest contamination concentration, so if that's safe, so is this.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, there were and are certainly other sites with contaminated soil in Toronto; some remove it all, others seal it in. Market Wharf and Time & Space decided it made them more $$ to seal the site and build above grade parking. 158 Front just opposite T&S excavated to bed-rock (and more) so they have below-ground parking.

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
I recall that there's a recurring problem related to contamination seeping through the concrete walls at one of the Crombie-era affordable housing buildings across the street. I think it's the one with the St Lawrence library branch, and if I recall correctly, the city has taken on the responsibility and cost of the periodic cleanup.

CityStay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, there were and are certainly other sites with contaminated soil in Toronto; some remove it all, others seal it in. Market Wharf and Time & Space decided it made them more $$ to seal the site and build above grade parking. 158 Front just opposite T&S excavated to bed-rock (and more) so they have below-ground parking.
Don't worry, all toxins will be assimilated.

jsmith77

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe one of the buildings in the Distillery had an issue with contaminated soil seeping into a garage. I know that the data centre on Mill & Parliament had delays once they discovered a brick oil containment unit underground.

As for this site, I've walked by the south end many times over recent months, and have actually crossed the street because of the sweet, putrid smell. Thought it had something to do with the machines. Do they remediate the soil with any special chemical?

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone else always think of Doctor Who whenever they see this thread?

Time and [relative dimension in] Space Condos?