Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Today

6309D902-BEB2-44EB-8654-B8D1F319F3ED.jpeg

B3B84EAF-25D5-4158-9696-32476D6E5D5E.jpeg

I’m surprised that I like this more than I thought I would. I don’t see how black and white can clash plus the massing along The Esplanade isn’t too bad. However it is massive and not finished so I’ll wait and see how the finished product looks.

I’m surprised that I like this more than I thought I would. I don’t see how black and white can clash plus the massing along The Esplanade isn’t too bad. However it is massive and not finished so I’ll wait and see how the finished product looks.
Yes, always good to reserve judgement until all is done and the south end (The Esplanade) is more in keeping with neighbourhood heights and is (in essence) two mid-size towers. (The cladding however is, in my opinion, a mess). The still only (at most) 50% of its eventual height north building on Front is looking more and more looming and I cannot see how it will fit in or add anything useful (except residents) to the neighbourhood.

I really wish they at least matched the cladding for the two sections fronting Esplanade. IMO, it really draws more attention to the cheap materials and lack of any design aesthetic.

I really wish they at least matched the cladding for the two sections fronting Esplanade. IMO, it really draws more attention to the cheap materials and lack of any design aesthetic.
I've always assumed the mismatched cladding was to create the illusion of multiple buildings, rather than one hulking mass. IMO it is, so far, serving that purpose.

I've always assumed the mismatched cladding was to create the illusion of multiple buildings, rather than one hulking mass. IMO it is, so far, serving that purpose.
That makes sense, thanks for pointing that out.

In theory, that would work in many cases, but IMO, the design for both blocks is very busy and not appealing to begin with. They'd been better off to just carry through one design to at least create some kind of rhythm or a consistent pattern.

Instead, it feels like a mishmash of extremely poor choices, trying to apply a practical design practice to a building without hope.

Why do you think so? Though great retail space is certainly partly due to the physical layout, it is equally dependent on great retailers. The space looks 'ok' to me but is not very deep and has lots of pillars which is generally not the best. In addition, I have heard no announcements about any retailers having signed leases.

Why do you think so? Though great retail space is certainly partly due to the physical layout, it is equally dependent on great retailers. The space looks 'ok' to me but is not very deep and has lots of pillars which is generally not the best. In addition, I have heard no announcements about any retailers having signed leases.
Your continual bashing of this building and everything associated with it is becoming very tiring. This is my professional opinion based on over 25 years of experience in commercial retail leasing. What exactly are your qualifications? Are you a planner? An architect? A developer? An urban designer? Or just someone who has nothing better to do than to constantly and consistently slam everyone who dares to provide any sort of positive comment on this project.

It will be the best drugstore/bank combo in the entire city!

Though if they do manage to get a daycare into the SE corner as planned, that would be really good for the neighbourhood.

Your continual bashing of this building and everything associated with it is becoming very tiring. This is my professional opinion based on over 25 years of experience in commercial retail leasing. What exactly are your qualifications? Are you a planner? An architect? A developer? An urban designer? Or just someone who has nothing better to do than to constantly and consistently slam everyone who dares to provide any sort of positive comment on this project.

Same here! I'm tired of hearing our good friend "Shadow" say negative things over and over!

I simply asked you to explain why you thought "north retail space is going to be amazing." You may well have 25+ years of retail leasing experience and may well have great insights but it would add to everyone's understanding if you could explain WHY the space is going to be amazing.

Back