Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

I've been involved in a number of brownfield site remediations and subsequent developments, and I've never experienced the strong smell of petroleum that I experienced driving past this site today with my windows and sunroof closed.
stop being so over dramatic

stop being so over dramatic
I assume you are a purchaser (or speculative owner) in this development who does not want too much notice being taken of the building being built over toxic soil. It may be being very well capped but it is still there because the developers were not prepared to spend the $$ necessary to excavate to bed-rock, as the folks in charge of the data centre at Parliament and Front did. @lmoss was simply reporting on his/her observations.

I assume you are a purchaser (or speculative owner) in this development who does not want too much notice being taken of the building being built over toxic soil. It may be being very well capped but it is still there because the developers were not prepared to spend the $$ necessary to excavate to bed-rock, as the folks in charge of the data centre at Parliament and Front did. @lmoss was simply reporting on his/her observations.
im in the neighbourhood all the time. I don't smell anything. I'm just calling out a person who thinks they know what they talking about

im in the neighbourhood all the time. I don't smell anything. I'm just calling out a person who thinks they know what they talking about
Dude, I work at the foot of Sherbourne and every time I've walked by on a hot day there's been a cloud of chemical smell blowing off this site. I don't know what's wrong with your nose, but there is a well-documented smell and nobody's being dramatic here.

I live above the site and have never noticed any particularly bad smell. That said, we often had our windows closed over the summer because of the constant jackhammering noise.

I also live right beside this monstrosity and walk past at least twice a day. I hate the design, I think it's an awful building for the area, but can't say I've ever noticed a smell.

Did you see my post on the previous page? It was much more dramatic and alarmist; please reply. I'm very sorry about your poorly-researched purchase.

Did you see my post on the previous page? It was much more dramatic and alarmist; please reply. I'm very sorry about your poorly-researched purchase.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. That's your own assumption. Other people can also say what they see or smell.
Not sure if @insider87 is a purchaser, but I am sure every purchaser is laughing right now, thinking about how much the value already appreciated.

There is no single solution works for all brownfield sites. Cap might be better for this one. The fact you guys smelling it now is a good thing, it's venting gases!

because the developers were not prepared to spend the $$ necessary to excavate to bed-rock.

Calling builder containing the site to cut cost is so not true...
Think about it, if Pemberton can dig deeper, put all parking spaces underground, and sell more real estate sqft above grade. They'd make way more profit.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. That's your own assumption. Other people can also say what they see or smell.
Not sure if @insider87 is a purchaser, but I am sure every purchaser is laughing right now, thinking about how much the value already appreciated.

There is no single solution works for all brownfield sites. Cap might be better for this one. The fact you guys smelling it now is a good thing, it's venting gases!

Calling builder containing the site to cut cost is so not true...
Think about it, if Pemberton can dig deeper, put all parking spaces underground, and sell more real estate sqft above grade. They'd make way more profit.
I attended the public consultation on this building several years ago. Someone asked why parking was mainly above grade and suggested a deeper dig. The developer, or their spokesfolk, said it would be too expensive to dig out all the polluted soil. There is also the fact that the building is so massive that if they did not put parking into the core the Units that could have been added there would have been very dark.

I do not think anyone here has said that capping pollution is always bad but several of us have said that we would look with a great deal of caution at buying in a building with pollution below it.

I attended the public consultation on this building several years ago. Someone asked why parking was mainly above grade and suggested a deeper dig. The developer, or their spokesfolk, said it would be too expensive to dig out all the polluted soil. There is also the fact that the building is so massive that if they did not put parking into the core the Units that could have been added there would have been very dark.

I do not think anyone here has said that capping pollution is always bad but several of us have said that we would look with a great deal of caution at buying in a building with pollution below it.

I am surprised they did not want to put units in the core because it's too dark. Builders always want more profit. Maybe city don't allow?

All purchasers are speculative, even the end-users. People wouldn't buy something unless they think prices will be higher. Preview prices then were $600 to $700 per sqft. Now $1000-$1100 per sqft. I appreciate your input, but just don't think they care.

Bottom line is, there're many brownfield projects in GTA, if city let them do it, it's fine.

Last edited:
20190921085946_IMG_0095.JPG

Any new construction updates and curious to see if others think Pemberton will still follow through with the amenities such as the Infiniti pool and basketball court that we’re announced ?

Back