Toronto Therme Spa/West Island at Ontario Place | 45.15m | 9s | Therme Group | Diamond Schmitt

Therme has a survey that it's pushing through Facebook ads which arguably is designed to solicit public feedback on its proposal, but is really structured in a way to convince you that the proposal will deliver your waterfront dreams!

The survey asks you to prioritize improvements to the waterfront (Environment, more parks, beach/swimming area, indigenous treaty rights etc.)

It also asks what amenities you would like to see. (restaurants, waterslides, cultural facilities, sports facilities (ie. volleyball courts).

Then asks if you would support a proposal that delivered more parks, and beach (you know how that will be used).

It also asked whether the taxpayer or private interests should foot the bill for waterfront improvements. (I picked 'other' for this one so I could type in my reply, that private interests were welcome to contribute, but that building on existing parkland, and removing existing trees was not a contribution, building on parking lots would be).

Survey Link here:

HA...I think you may have spooked them as they no longer offer an "other" option where you can add freeform text. The only option I am getting is A) private sector should give back or B) taxpayers should pay. :mad: And, if I select taxpayers, I do not get an option to add a comment.

I stopped the survey as I also want to add some colour to these questions. I'll try again later and hopefully they allow adding in comments again.

Wait...you could add comments to those?

There was one question that allowed an 'other' option which I made use of, as noted in my post above. Apparently, they have since removed that option. LOL Was it something I said?

Ontario Place doesn't need a spa...it needs love.

Looking it as fodder to host private ventures and venues is probably the worst way to address this, IMO. Because those players have no interest in revitalizing it, only padding their bottom line...and likely at the expense of it's surroundings and everything else. So the government shouldn't keep trying to address OP as a burden that can only be "resolved" by neoliberal experiments and start to look at is an asset where the public will benefit instead.

Some new images are up on the Therme site (renders):

1669053874240.png

1669053905597.png

1669053939761.png

1669054002702.png

🤣

Therme has pulled the survey entirely.

They got roasted for the biased questions here, there and everywhere.
If they can't put together a survey without screwing up here, they should not be handed the keys to public lands for their own personal use and gain...with or without the *science-fiction glass enclosures. Just saying.

*Note: The biodomes in Silent Running where likely more plausible, lol.

Have you never heard of transparent aluminum??
You mean this?:

...commercial panels are only available up just over 2 x 3 ft it appears. The panels in the rendering look considerably larger than that. And what kinda costs would be involved to make those panels larger if they could?.

Plus these guys where vetted by the Ford Government...which I am not sure they're quite got outside the Ferris wheel and monorail fantasy thinking here.

Edit/PS: In retrospect, I think Mr. Towered may have been pulling a Poe's Law here and thus I should of not taken that suggestion so seriously. >.<

Last edited:

Back