Toronto Theory Condos | 101.49m | 30s | Parallax | Arcadis

BE741CF0-EF4F-4E9E-BF54-71ECA2E99E9D.jpeg

The added scale is doing wonders for this stretch of College. It has always felt so underwhelming and under developed due to how wide the street is. The proportions between road and buildings is much much better now. It will take another 10-15 years before this stretch is built out and then they can turn their attention to the public realm.

It looks less bad now that more of it is up, but there's something about it that just doesn't work.
Really? I think its a great looking building. Not sure why you think it doesn't work - I find it well balanced and visually high quality.
Different tastes I guess.

Really? I think its a great looking building. Not sure why you think it doesn't work - I find it well balanced and visually high quality.
Different tastes I guess.

It's the way the volumes are broken up. Those four-storey tall volumes of clear/blue glass are interrupted up by the bands of lighter grey spandrel between floors. The grey "cut-outs" look weird because they're flush to the rest of the wall and not inset. It also really bugs me that the cut-outs have that one small grey panel that lines up with the panels below. Having that line running continuously up the building detracts from how the volumes were meant to be rhythmically interrupted. And then the wide gaps between the panels that are framing the volumes further interrupts the motif. I really wish they'd kept those gaps tighter.

I don't hate it, and I think it's the best of the new builds along that stretch, but the details just aren't working for me.

Back