Toronto Theory Condos | 101.49m | 30s | Parallax | Arcadis

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3808726&isCofASearch=false

203 COLLEGE ST
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Development proposal consists of a 33-storey mixed use building with a 3-storey podium base, which is to replace the existing 5-storey mixed use building onsite. The development proposal includes 356 residential units in the tower portion of the building, 2,328 SM of non-residential GFA (retail and office) in the podium, and 58 parking spaces below grade.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 15 208876 STE 20 OZ Aug 18, 2015 Under Review

I remember when they re-clad the existing building. Whatever those cheap orange panels are made of faded almost instantly. No great loss, provided they retain or increase the amount of retail and commercial. 33 storeys is bonkers at that site, though.

Looks like College from Bay to about Spadina is a new hot zone for high-rise proposals...

Wow, talk about synchronicity: I used to work in that building many, many years ago and was just thinking about it being due for a redevelopment!

Yes, thank god. I hated that building so much I would I avoid that Starbucks whenever I needed coffee on campus. Really wish UofT owned the site. It would be a great location for something special terminating St. George St from the South.

Yes, thank god. I hated that building so much I would I avoid that Starbucks whenever I needed coffee on campus. Really wish UofT owned the site. It would be a great location for something special terminating St. George St from the South.

How is that Starbucks any different than other locations?

Why can't Toronto create a decent midrise street? If College has to be developed, it should be lined with midrise between University and Spadina. Spadina has tall buildings already, so I understand that a cluster is forming there because the CAMH buildings was allowed previously. But here, the university across the street (heritage 4s building) will never be high rise, nor will the College strip surrounding it (mostly 3s heritage buildings except for the 4s apartment complex across Beverley). While the current uses of College along this stretch are a bit soulless, and the buildings are often in disrepair, enough of a legacy exists here that would be respected by mid rise developments but not by a random high rise street with no integrated vision. I'm quite pro height in most cases, but this is getting out of hand. I don't want a single line of 30s buildings casting shadows on (and overshadowing) two of my favourite neighbourhoods. Nor does a 3s to 30s to 4s transition strike me as the best solution for the site. I get that this is Toronto's thing, and I find the jarring juxtaposition of heights interesting at times, but not in this case.

Last edited:

Back