Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

June 28, 2017

20170628_114006.jpg

I'm a fan of skinny towers like this. I find them much better for Toronto's urban fabric than towers with giant podiums and floorplates to create a walkable, animated high rise neighbourhoods.

Various planning docs, normally related to other nearby proposals, cite Theatre Park as 157 metres, like several other buildings parked at the "table-top" height in the area which was first established for Festival Tower at the TIFF Bell Lightbox.

I'm a fan of skinny towers like this. I find them much better for Toronto's urban fabric than towers with giant podiums and floorplates to create a walkable, animated high rise neighbourhoods.

As a whole, slender towers present unique aesthetic, which places much more emphasis on the verticality of high rise buildings.
If you've seen renders/depictions/models of how the city will look in 5 years, you will see the slender tower (more specifically, the slender residential tower) as very prominent building form, especially along the Bay-Yonge corridor. In fact, we already see this happening with recent additions like ICE, Harbour Plaza Residences, and Casa II/III. Many more are along the way, including The One and YSL which will give the skyline a very unique appearance, different than any other North American skyline that exists today. New York City also has several of these super-slender residential buildings going up, but they're presence joins a very well built-out skyline, unlike Toronto's which is experiencing explosive growth in such a short span of time.
This is a dual-edged sword, as the repetitive nature of this building type and material aesthetic may dilute the other architectural styles and building forms that become buried throughout the city.

It would have been a game changer if the finished product looked like the renders. The banding and the roof look completely different. At ground level I feel something should be done: it is a big empty space. Maybe this changes when they finally get a restaurant to occupy the one retail space.

Still a very nice building but moreso because it stands out in a sea of mediocrity.

It's true that the roof changes were particularly disappointing, but the finished product still ranks as one of the most attractive towers in the city as far as I am concerned - and not simply due to the sea of mediocrity, though that never hurts!

But I have to agree about the ground level. While the glass is stunning, the space feels dead. Does anyone have any insight into what is happening with a potential tenant/restaurant and why it is taking so long?

Back