Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

I totally disagree that the taller a building is, the more desirable. Mid-rise buildings can be very nice, desirable, even more desirable than towers due to the smaller number of units and fewer floors of monotony. Not to mention, they suit a lot more areas in the city, than any tower does. In cities around the world, some of the best and most liveable and enjoyable urban densities are in areas which are primarily mid-rise. So please, no more "high-rise = more liveable BS..!I am in no way opposed to towers, and I love watching them rise and think they make a great contribution to the city, but taller in no way means better! Period.

I wish people would stop making comments like "this is a city and towers exist in the city and well, we should just get used to it!" No! I think its important to look at the bigger picture and slow down. This city is in a building frenzy and developers are pushing to develop every square inch in as little time as possible. I have to agree with alklay, even if only occasionally, that this site/area is more suited for a mid-rise building(s). But developers are hungry to make the most money on their investment, that nothing less than 40 stories will suffice.

And by the way, it is not the goal of a mid-rise area to become a high-rise area...!

...or you can't wait in a bad way, like "holy amazing this is shit"?

I'm going with this. Not to say that Clewes sucks, but considering the monotony of his designs "playing with curves" probably means that one quarter of a half of a side of a balcony's corner's side has a slight non completely straight side that is slightly rounded.

Tall towers do not need new homes. I don't even know what that means considering there is no 'need' for tall towers anywhere.

Increased density does not mean 50 storey towers on midrise streets.

I think the future of this "mid-rise" area is to become a "high-rise" area. increased density is not only inevitable, its also desireable.

Big Daddy said what I was going to say in response to you, alklay, so I'm just quoting him.

I also think eventually 50 stories may just be the new definition of mid-rise.

Great words by P5connex and I have to agree with him. There does need to be some vision and control when developing neighbourhoods that are on their way to becoming very well established. Throwing up multiple 50 story buildings without a real vision might upset the balance. While we all love monster tall buildings in the city, there are only a few completed to give us a sense of scale of these buildings and to know what to expect. Judging by what we've seen completed already, i personally would be very scared to see the same buildings taking over downtown. Take stock what 40 story buildings have been completed in this cycle.

Minto Midtown
Pantages
ROCP
Cityplace HVE

With the exception of Minto, each one of those hardly contributes to a vibrant streetscape.

You mean it's just another recycled Clewes tower?

I'm going with this. Not to say that Clewes sucks, but considering the monotony of his designs "playing with curves" probably means that one quarter of a half of a side of a balcony's corner's side has a slight non completely straight side that is slightly rounded.

Just you two wait.

Great words by P5connex and I have to agree with him. There does need to be some vision and control when developing neighbourhoods that are on their way to becoming very well established. Throwing up multiple 50 story buildings without a real vision might upset the balance. While we all love monster tall buildings in the city, there are only a few completed to give us a sense of scale of these buildings and to know what to expect. Judging by what we've seen completed already, i personally would be very scared to see the same buildings taking over downtown. Take stock what 40 story buildings have been completed in this cycle.

Minto Midtown
Pantages
ROCP
Cityplace HVE

With the exception of Minto, each one of those hardly contributes to a vibrant streetscape.

I think 3D and the rest of UT would take you on over the Pantages issue. ROCP and HVE have entirely different contexts and equally differing notions of what a 'vibrant streetscape' is.

I agree with p5 but would take it a step further, while I like tall buildings and enjoy seeing them built they are likely on balance detrimental to the quality of life of people in the city.

Back