Toronto Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel | 156.05m | 49s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Oct 17 -
8149EFCF-3159-4CDD-A0E0-EE6688D9541A.jpeg
05565E23-074A-4156-8D43-55E71F1367B6.jpeg

F245FA44-77C7-4364-A179-95A9D4352391.jpeg

9E06A2D5-F5C2-404A-909E-5CBA55A80CA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Just came by to say: the brick panels on this are f***ing gorgeous in real life. I did a double-take from the King Streetcar as it whizzed by. Photos do not do it justice. More golden brick in this city please.

I hope we see more buildings using this kind of thing.

the golden brick is nice enough on its own but... transitioning from red brick at ground level and then transitioning to silver spandrel on the tower portion and with blue glass? no. those are hideous colour combinations. golden brick works well with a darker contrasting colour like black. somebody needs to go back to design school. this project just looks like a random mishmash.

the golden brick is nice enough on its own but... transitioning from red brick at ground level and then transitioning to silver spandrel on the tower portion and with blue glass? no. those are hideous colour combinations. golden brick works well with a darker contrasting colour like black. somebody needs to go back to design school. this project just looks like a random mishmash.
I agree. The brick to silver spandrel is jarring.

A question for a potentially one of the experts on this board:
What is the cost of this brick pre-cast as opposed to window wall/spandrel? What is the cost non-brick precast, as opposed to window wall?

The reason I ask, is that if precast is cheaper (or not substantially higher in price) I wonder why it is not used more in projects.

I understand that brick is generally cheaper than glass (windows) which accounts for small windows on most older projects,. But I am curious as to what accounts for the lack of pre-cast as compared to spandrel.

Thanks

Back