Toronto Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel | 156.05m | 49s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Until Plaza shows that they can build a nice product without value engineering it to death I will take their renders with a grain of salt. Don't believe me? Look at their masterpiece on Wellesley with the DIY looking fritted balconies. Expectations are very low for this one.

New rendering from updated architectural plans:

rvedvd.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3640115

Attachments

• rvedvd.jpg
    rvedvd.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,446
I have high hopes for this project. The hotel portion should look good and signifies that they will at least aim for quality at ground level

I like it when projects use the surrounding context to inform the design. In this case, the podiums drawing inspiration from the beige bricked buildings immediately to the south, west and north across Adelaide. Helps unify the block and give warmer hues to the increasingly cold glass downtown.

I’d say so.. as the design is well... another box. Not a very interesting box and those Mitch match lines are distracting near the top. Looks sloppy. Enough with the off set non patterned looks. I’d rather the lines just be straight up the entire way. It would appear tidier and a little classier.

I’d say so.. as the design is well... another box. Not a very interesting box and those Mitch match lines are distracting near the top. Looks sloppy. Enough with the off set non patterned looks. I’d rather the lines just be straight up the entire way. It would appear tidier and a little classier.
This one does it with a nice economy of changes: only at one level a few floors from the top. That's enough to architecturally express that the building's rise is soon to end, without overdoing it. I'm glad there's one gesture there, it signals a little bit of thought went into this.

The pessimist in me tells me that the whole striped design will turn out just as bad looking as the L-tower materials-wise. L-tower renders also showed stark contrasting stripes going down the length of the building, very matrix-like in their arrangement. And what came of it? Well, technically the stripes are there, but can you see them without squinting?

Back