Toronto Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel | 156.05m | 49s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

The amount of spandrel and precast is overwhelming. What's with the floor with no windows in the right tower?

I love it ! We need something diverse from the norm there's too much glass facade looking buildings. Maybe this style might even become the norm again.

Last edited:
I read about how the city forced them to chop 7 stories and I ask myself: why would the city not simply limit parking? Pretty much the only good reason to reduce height and unit count is because of congestion. So why not simply limit the number of automobile storage spaces, so that people who insist on driving will choose to live in another part of town? Why reduce the number of units in probably the most walkable area in English Canada?

Maybe there's a secret plan to limit development so that demand spills over and they finally upzone the Annex?

That's it. It's a conspiracy.

Water, sanitation, electricity, food & merchandise, space to walk a dog, sunlight to kick things into and many more. Cars is all you could come up with? Height by itself has very little weight. It is just a byproduct from planning principles that are used to maintain quality of life as are communities grow denser. Look around. Height and the associated skylines don't stand up as great indicators for amazing urbanity and enviable urban cities. I don't understand why it's the number one thing for so many forumers.

^Agreed. I'm all for density but I fear the built form in the entertainment district is becoming oppressive rather than just dense. Working and living in the area, i find public and green spaces lacking. Even finding a bench to have lunch on is basically impossible!

With regards to this development, I'm not sure if the earthy tones are actually a representation of what's to come or a reflection of the sunset depicted in the rendering. It might be the exact shade of grey shown in the midday render .

Quadrangle just tweeted this:

IMG_0569.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 764
The pool looks so inhospitable. If you have one of those middle loungers, you literally have to step over others to get out.
Probably will never see direct sunlight either.

That awkward inner precast for the mechanical floor is gone so that's kinda nice I guess.

The pool looks so inhospitable. If you have one of those middle loungers, you literally have to step over others to get out.
Probably will never see direct sunlight either.

Yes, the pool that will be in shadow 100% of the time is particularly baffling, unless it is by some miracle a giant hot tub.

You wonder why they wouldn't enclose it as an indoor "greenhouse".

Back