Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Well…

Now that it's clear that it's the same cheap green glass going up on the tower floors, I'm feeling really, really let down.

Clearly, a different type of glass is going to start in a couple of floors:
1582144276811.png

Here's hoping. They downplayed the green so much on the renderings (to the point that no-one would have guessed green) that I'll admit to being sceptical that the glass on the upper storeys will be up to scratch. The building really shouldn't have had any of the cheap stuff on it.

Last edited:
I don't think the upper office floors have different glass so much as it's just different lighting inside.

After looking closer at recent pictures, I'm starting to think the podium glass isn't even green or at least not nearly as green as we all think. It only seems green when it's reflecting the green clad buildings across the street. The parts of glass reflecting sky don't seem green at all and closer resemble what we see in the photos.

1582145839014.png

I don't think the upper office floors have different glass so much as it's just different lighting inside.

After looking closer at recent pictures, I'm starting to think the podium glass isn't even green or at least not nearly as green as we all think. It only seems green when it's reflecting the green clad buildings across the street. The parts of glass reflecting sky don't seem green at all and closer resemble what we see in the photos.

View attachment 231856

Just eyeballing it - that photo seems to be taken at a critical angle with respect to the glass - if anything that tend to mute the tint of the glazing (because the glass basically became a mirror at that point). Photos taken from a perpendicular position with the glass against a neutral background (like the cladding around the cast concrete) provides a pretty incontrovertible evidence that the tint is grey-green (the ambient light has to go through the glass, hits the concrete and go through the glass again before it reaches your eyes)

AoD

Colour aside, i'm more disappointed that the glass is clear. I've never liked commercial buildings with clear glass vs reflective. It's messy to see the clutter of office 'stuff' and everyone playing with the blinds going up and down.
Tinted glass covers everything up nicely.

Just eyeballing it - that photo seems to be taken at a critical angle with respect to the glass - if anything that tend to mute the tint of the glazing (because the glass basically became a mirror at that point). Photos taken from a perpendicular position with the glass against a neutral background (like the cladding around the cast concrete) provides a pretty incontrovertible evidence that the tint is grey-green (the ambient light has to go through the glass, hits the concrete and go through the glass again before it reaches your eyes)

AoD

All good points! I think it's safe to say that the colour (or lack there-of) in between the reflected buildings is what we'll be seeing from the sidewalk on the tower portion.. at least on an overcast day.

After looking closer at recent pictures, I'm starting to think the podium glass isn't even green or at least not nearly as green as we all think. It only seems green when it's reflecting the green clad buildings across the street.
I guess you might say......... the glass is greener on the other side? *rimshot*

You can tell that the glass is green by the contrast of what grey looks like from the building across the street. It's in one of the picture. It's gonna look strange next to the red

I drove past The Well yesterday with some brilliant sunshine bouncing off the sea foam. I was looking to see if it fared any better in the sunlight. My first take was shiver and Bazis Emerald Park. Not a good look. Maybe it will be cloudy and grey for the rest of time and it'll look better (on the other hand the LCBO building looks fantastic in the bright sun!!)

My one grievance with CIBC square is that I personally find the silver accents to be a bit spindly and hard to read from a distance, so I'm hoping the accents here have a bit more girth to them, as they say.

My one grievance with CIBC square is that I personally find the silver accents to be a bit spindly and hard to read from a distance, so I'm hoping the accents here have a bit more girth to them, as they say.

I am just cringing at the thought of silver tinted accents against that green-gray glass. So much for the design homage to Lloyds.

AoD

Back