Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I was pulling from this Star article:

" Enwave is unusual in that it uses drinking water as the coolant. Other systems dump heated water back into the lake from which it’s drawn — leading to concerns about environmental damage. Flowing the heat into the drinking water supply avoids that problem."

It's a closed heat exchange system, so the tap water isn't actually the coolant, it's just where the "waste heat" ends up, instead of immediately back in the lake. That was the constraint that necessitated this tank (no more heat sink capacity in the municipal water supply).
Thank you for your kind clarification. This was always been a mystery to me because of the conflicting information I've been reading. Based on the information I've seen before, I thought that chilled Lake Ontario water is being used directly to cool closed-circuit systems in various buildings. I didn't realize that lake water is not returned back to the lake or used for other purposes. I now understand that it gets "re-chilled" using exchange with a municipal tap water.

Thanks

DSC07655.JPG

DSC07657.JPG

DSC07658.JPG

DSC07660.JPG

DSC07662.JPG

DSC07664.JPG

DSC07665.JPG

DSC07666.JPG

DSC07669.JPG

DSC07671.JPG

DSC07672.JPG

DSC07673.JPG

When is this project scheduled to be complete?

As a nearby resident whose life has been disrupted by this project, I’m sick and tired of the construction.

As a nearby resident whose life has been disrupted by this project, I’m sick and tired of the construction.
You'll get used to it over the next few years (at least)

At the end of the day, as a resident, you should be happy with this project - as it makes your neighbourhood that much more attractive to potential buyers - increasing your property value.

Back