Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Reminiscent of Victoria Square in Belfast

ei61df.jpg

34nmpmw.jpg

So @jdoh's images from CTBUH are a touch confusing but do make sense. The bottom floor is actually one level below grade giving the internal appearance of being three floors up. You can see how it works in this west section:

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 1,913
will the space be sealed from the exterior? from what I remember of the original plans it was to be open air, but those images above make it look enclosed.

Wow this is very exiting! This will give the Eaton Centre a run for it's money as 'well'. I guess it will be a wee bit chilly in the Winter with the wind whipping through.

The Star:
Down the street, the city is set to approve a massive new development at the former Globe & Mail site at Spadina and Front streets that will see a large new public plaza and two sites dedicated for park space on Draper St. and Wellington St. W.

The seven-tower DiamondCorp development — combining 1,537 condo units, 105,364 square metres of office space and 44,824 square metres of retail space — faces final approval at committee Tuesday and council next month.

As part of the proposal, the developer has agreed to dedicate a parkette-sized piece of land — 0.07 acres — as part of the site. After negotiations with the city, the developer has also purchased 0.24 acres of land just north of the development at 456 Wellington St., what is now home to the Addisons Residence house-party-themed nightclub, for additional park space.

I'm assuming that the Star didn't get the memo about the sale to Tridel. New parkland is good news, though. Sounds like this could connect right through to the BIG project on King West.

So what does this mean??.......OMB?

TE20.7
(10:00 AM) Final Report - 440, 444, 450 and 462 Front Street; 425, 439, 441 and 443 Wellington Street West; 6-18 Spadina Avenue and 1 and 19 Draper Street - Zoning Amendment (Ward 20 - Statutory: Planning Act, RSO 1990)
Amended

I hope council will approve it folks.
It time to have an open air mall in downtown Toronto.

Why is it time to have an open air mall in downtown Toronto? How is it better than Queen West, for example?

Yea I'm actually concerned about the vitality of that retail, so 500K is pretty darn large, it's half of Farview mall for example; I'm not so sure how well all that retail will do.

Now mind you, a lot of developments build "a lot" of retail in the range of say 50/100K < that's probably not enough to be a destination, whereas this is, so that's a positive but still, think of the competition (Eaton Center / Queen Street / ... the path) - this development adds just 1 office building, mind you a very big one, I'm not sure that'll really be enough.

It'll be interesting to see how they do with securing tenants ahead of time (for the retail).

I don't see why they would have any trouble at all. With growth pressures all around, and both new residential and office space onsite, there should not be a problem getting a major supermarket in. The compelling architecture should fill also help with the bulk of the spaces pretty quickly: this has destination written all over it, as you've noted.

Add in a GO RER stop across Front in the coming years, and a Relief Line stop in the neighbourhood in the coming decades, and everything's good.

The retail will be fine. I work further up spadina and people from city place constantly express how much they wish there was more retail south on spadina. So I doubt it will be an issue.

Yea I'm actually concerned about the vitality of that retail, so 500K is pretty darn large, it's half of Farview mall for example; I'm not so sure how well all that retail will do.

Now mind you, a lot of developments build "a lot" of retail in the range of say 50/100K < that's probably not enough to be a destination, whereas this is, so that's a positive but still, think of the competition (Eaton Center / Queen Street / ... the path) - this development adds just 1 office building, mind you a very big one, I'm not sure that'll really be enough.

It'll be interesting to see how they do with securing tenants ahead of time (for the retail).

It's large but, a couple anchors can quickly cut that down by half.

Back