Toronto FourFifty The Well | 157.4m | 46s | RioCan Living | a—A

Pics taken Oct 15, 2018

5vopsvF.jpg

bU1Otto.jpg

xilk3uU.jpg

39E3KeQ.jpg

8YvxH7r.jpg

I can't imagine all of it is - the volumes involved here strike me as significantly more than at the Portlands infill project.

According to the construction notice, "A total of 16,094 truckloads of locally sourced clean fill will be placed around Essroc Quay to form the northwest corner of the future Villers Island."

Depending on how big a truckload is, you could probably estimate the number of truckloads of fill removed from the pit here. I seem to remember reading that they were removing 500 truckloads of fill per day from the site, which would put it at roughly a month's worth of excavation.

But the current project doesn't produce much by the way of new land - beyond the Essroc Quay filling, it's mostly moving soil around within the boundary of the site.

AoD

It's about a 4 hectare area with a depth of at least 6 metres, add a metre for the dockwall elevation. That's 280,000 m3, or only 40% of what's being excavated (690,000 m3), so point taken.

It's about a 4 hectare area with a depth of at least 6 metres, add a metre for the dockwall elevation. That's 280,000 m3, or only 40% of what's being excavated (690,000 m3), so point taken.

Though I would imagine the overburden for this site isn't usable as clean fill for the project? That should cut the figure down a bit.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
My understanding, from various staff at the site over the past months. While two major disposal sites have received large proportions of what has been excavated, the overall disposition has included:
  • A small amount of material excavated from the north-west corner of the site was very severely contaminated, and was trucked to Montreal for specialty decontamination and remediation
  • Other less severely contaminated material was sent to the GFL earth treatment facility in the Harbour lands
  • A large portion of the excavated material has gone to the large commercial site near Newmarket (I believe this is the site which is an abandoned airport location, and hence subject to Federal, and not Provincial or Municipal regulation)
  • A commercial site in or near Hamilton
  • Some of the excavated material, not too much by comparison to what was sent to the two commercial sites, has gone to the Essroc Quay landfill.
One further comment - it has been noted in the past that the removal activities end around or shortly after 3 PM, while the equipment on site generally continues to work until 6 PM or later. From what I understand (again, information from one of the people on site) the limiting factor on how late trucks with excavation material can leave is not based on work site constraints at The Well itself, traffic conditions, contractual arrangements with the trucking companies,, but on the cut-off times at the destination sites for receipt of the deliveries

Greenbank is still taking fill? I haven't been by it in a few years - gotta go look at it. It's probably a small mountain at this point. I'm truly amazed that the Feds haven't shut them down yet.

^ I prefer the view from Highway 12. My guess is that the volume of fill dumped is about double the amount that will be excavated from the Well, as of 2016 satellite imagery (the fill area is about 120,000sm, and appears to be about 10m tall)

2011:

2011.JPG

2018:

2018.JPG

2011:

2011 2.JPG

2018:

2018 2.JPG

Attachments

• 2011.JPG
    2011.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 864