The Well | 174m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

stjames2queenwest

Member Bio
Reaction score
The retail will be fine. I work further up spadina and people from city place constantly express how much they wish there was more retail south on spadina. So I doubt it will be an issue.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yea I'm actually concerned about the vitality of that retail, so 500K is pretty darn large, it's half of Farview mall for example; I'm not so sure how well all that retail will do.

Now mind you, a lot of developments build "a lot" of retail in the range of say 50/100K < that's probably not enough to be a destination, whereas this is, so that's a positive but still, think of the competition (Eaton Center / Queen Street / ... the path) - this development adds just 1 office building, mind you a very big one, I'm not sure that'll really be enough.

It'll be interesting to see how they do with securing tenants ahead of time (for the retail).

It's large but, a couple anchors can quickly cut that down by half.

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's large but, a couple anchors can quickly cut that down by half.
Very good point; A few big box stores will leave very little left over, not sure we'd all want to see that but if you had, for example, a large grocery store, a winners / ...

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
From what I've heard - the lower level food retail isn't going to be a big supermarket. More of a St Lawrence Market / European market type set-up.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Actually, I've seen those newer plans now too, but there does seem to be an "anchor store" on the second level that's 2,500 m2/ 27,000 sq ft. Could that be a mid-size grocery store? The Sobeys in CityPlace is 25,000 square feet, the Loblaws at Queen and Portland is 45,000 square feet, while the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws is 85,000 square feet.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Very good point; A few big box stores will leave very little left over, not sure we'd all want to see that but if you had, for example, a large grocery store, a winners / ...

I was thinking Winners/Home Sense too. Maybe a large format furniture store. Another large format grocery store seems unnecessary. We'll see in a few years.

stjames2queenwest

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is a winners, and a homesense, within a couple blocks of this site, and a marshals and linen closet within a couple more blocks. I hope they get something better than that here. Mind you they did just open up a new winners two blocks south of the existing one on Yonge so you never know.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is a winners, and a homesense, within a couple blocks of this site, and a marshals and linen closet within a couple more blocks. I hope they get something better than that here. Mind you they did just open up a new winners two blocks south of the existing one on Yonge so you never know.
The winners will have to move when the lease is up.

I do hope it does turn out as a higher end "mall" as has been suggested.

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was a tower approved at the location of that Winners (57 Spadina).

Allied and Diamondcorp owned it and they flipped it to Tricon earlier this year.