Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

April 13th, 2019

IMG_20190413_175123.jpg

Height/skyline geek comment (no comment on design-hard to tell): ...totally lost track of this one (2 X 60s + towers)... panicked a bit at Kirkor but maybe mitigated by Aa. Will certainly bulk up west of core skyline.

That's actually a good point I forgot- if you ever recall the old Cityplace marketing renderings that showed the entire development from Lake Ontario, it was pleasingly presented as a mirror skyline to the CBD, with the CN Tower as the centre.

Of course, the problem was that that new skyline was wafer-thin and didn't have the layered effect that the CBD has- so I think you're right that The Well and its adjacent developments will really help bulk up the skyline west of the CN Tower.

Development nowadays has also shifted back east of the CN Tower so the skyline will never be balanced as originally intended, but I suppose I can't complain about a good thing.

Last edited:
That's actually a good point I forgot- if you ever recall the old Cityplace marketing renderings that showed the entire development from Lake Ontario, it was pleasingly presented as a mirror skyline to the CBD, with the CN Tower as the centre.

View attachment 181421

Of course, the problem was that that new skyline was wafer-thin and didn't have the layered effect that the CBD has- so I think you're right that The Well and its adjacent developments will really help bulk up the skyline west of the CN Tower.

Development nowadays has also shifted back east of the CN Tower so the skyline will never be balanced as originally intended, but I suppose I can't complain about a good thing.

^^Render: Well the gap between King and Bay ... and the tower... has done a pretty good job of filling in with Shang, RBC, Ritz and others... and Cityplace was never going to glow green, blue or magenta (I do like the snippets of "Warm By Night" though -nice "initial" light designs - but the cheap out happens when condo corps take control and all the switches aren't turned on too much... fair enough it's their reserve fund* to worry about).

Canada Tower (or whatever it's called) will impact but it's location originally called "Signature" and rendered so many times (incl. 70-80 first try) is of course disappointing... they are revving up boring architecture with special lighting but when the condo corp has it's first meeting I'd bet the lights are turned off to protect the budget.

*BTW I'm no expert for sure but new buyers of a built condo should search the reserve fund status ... before even looking at the view... apologies for saying the obvious but there may be a few construction issues in this boom lol and first time buyers may not look at this (lawyers are lazy;-).

The Well may not have much of a waterfront view but a Jason drone is eagerly anticipated when completed.

Sorry mods for lame attempt at getting on topic .. feel free to move most of this (maybe leave a hint of "reserve fund" if you can lol)

Last edited:
We already know the height (174m) of the office building, but were the height of other buildings ever released?
the-well-buildings 100.PNG

Judging from the pic it looks like the condo ones facing Front could be 165m, 145m, 100m?

Gee...add that to the 400 Front street development (59s/199m, 57s/192m, 25s/98m, 20s Office) ,on the north/east and the area will look like a whole different place

Last edited:
We already know the height (174m) of the office building, but were the height of other buildings ever released?
View attachment 181423

Judging from the pic it looks like the condo ones facing Front could be 165m, 145m, 100m?

Gee...add that to the 400 Front street development (59s/199m, 57s/192m, 25s/98m, 20s Office) ,on the north/east and the area will look like a whole different place

You are right - the Well office tower (at minimum) will be a rather big impact on the west of core skyline.. all about angles sometimes ;-)

View attachment 181423

The heights are in the database file

Back