ZMRs6og.jpg

RixD8ba.jpg

VgLBBip.jpg

LcBWtcQ.jpg

mkhg2MS.jpg

PPcBm20.jpg

4EFrD2U.jpg

YbVrVc2.jpg

Bedrock in Toronto is so different than it is up north, where I'm used to seeing it. Looks much softer.
Yeah - Toronto and GTA is pretty much all this fractured shale (which is prone to swelling) - further north you go, will see more limestone (i think it's mainly limestone) and harder rock and they are much closer to the surface (or above) - good old Canadian shield territory

Great shots from above - I only seem to get good shots from the bottom looking up
.View attachment 166374
View attachment 166375
Wow, standing below an unsupported rock wall with lose boulders 10 feet above their head would be completely disallowed in the mining industry. Do that everyday and you'd be guaranteed a LTI eventually. All they need to do to remediate the hazard is drap a curtain over the rock wall from the lip. With the right tools and materials a 10 min job.

Wow, standing below an unsupported rock wall with lose boulders 10 feet above their head would be completely disallowed in the mining industry. Do that everyday and you'd be guaranteed a LTI eventually. All they need to do to remediate the hazard is drap a curtain over the rock wall from the lip. With the right tools and materials a 10 min job.
It's not unsupported rock with loose boulders - this is a treated cut rock face reviewed by geotechnical engineers and the safety team. There are no boulders. The whole site is cut into rock and precautions are taken prior to allowing workers into the space. Maybe the photo makes it look different than it actually is on site. Safety is a huge priority on site - no shortcuts here.

It's not unsupported rock with loose boulders - this is a treated cut rock face reviewed by geotechnical engineers and the safety team. There are no boulders. The whole site is cut into rock and precautions are taken prior to allowing workers into the space. Maybe the photo makes it look different than it actually is on site. Safety is a huge priority on site - no shortcuts here.
If this isn't the construction industries definition of unsupported lose ground I have no idea what would be. Every mine I've been in would not need any wire mesh based on constructions definition than. In a mine basically every rock wall 2.0m above the ground needs to be bolted and screened, almost no exceptions.

PS, what's that 50lb rock at the top of wall behind those guys, thats not a boiulder ? If that falls on them it result in an LTI at a minimum. I should be use to construction, oil and gas having less owners regs than mining by now. Construction sites scare the shit out of me compared to being underground.

Anyway, I'll leave the rest of the discussion to The Well. you can go stand under that 50lb pebble (not boulder) if you like. I like coming home from work every day. Oh one more thing, the unguarded ramp down into the pit the trucks drive wouldn't be allowed either at a mine. A berm half a tire height would be needed.

1544201458396.png

Whoa. So are they building the tanks as they excavate?

That is a ring beam that will drop down into the hole as the hole is dug, to ensure the circumference remains constant as it goes down. Eventually the walls of the tank will be constructed with a slip form, all while the parking garage and buildings above are going up.

That is a ring beam that will drop down into the hole as the hole is dug, to ensure the circumference remains constant as it goes down. Eventually the walls of the tank will be constructed with a slip form, all while the parking garage and buildings above are going up.
... and with a thick transfer slab right over top of the opening to support the columns above.

Back