Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Wow! What a great way to start the day...bravo!

If I were ever to retire from my little old Cabbagetown hovel (not a likely move), I would look for something like this development, to live in. Really nice work from Hariri Pontarini and Claude Cormier.

Yes, Hariri Pontarini can do good work - it's a big surprise that their plans for the Acura-Sobey site on Front East are so disrespectful of the St Lawrence neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Yes, Hariri Pontarini can do good work - it's a big surprise that their plans for the Acura-Sobey site on Front East are so disrespectful of the St Lawrence neighbourhood.

At the end of the day the developer is the one in control. The reason this is such a great development is because the developer wanted it to be one, or at least took the architects suggestions. At the st Lawrence district, the developer is doing nothing but maximizing square footage, and has no interest in building a real city.

At the end of the day the developer is the one in control. The reason this is such a great development is because the developer wanted it to be one, or at least took the architects suggestions. At the St Lawrence district, the developer is doing nothing but maximizing square footage, and has no interest in building a real city.
It is, of course, true that the architect works for the developer but it would be nice (if naive) to think that an architect might turn down a commission that would (and in case of the Sobey-Acura site as it is now, will) greatly diminish their reputation.

Was just dreaming the other day about the potential for Wellington Street at Spadina to look awesome with mid-rises, pedestrian mews, retail, and the like. This proposal exceeds and is nothing short of spectacular. The future Yorkville?

I knew purchasing at CityPlace would pay off someday! Just need to wait a few years now! It's too bad a second pedestrian bridge across the rail line wasn't part of this project. It would have made for a perfectly connected neighbourhood (King west, Wellington, CityPlace, Waterfront)

The plan looks great! I just hope the interesting elements don't get scaled down or cut completely once it receives approval though. Also, Riocan being involved doesn't make me optimistic for the type of retail businesses that will be moving in here.

Back