Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

This project is hideous. Monstrosity from every angle.
3m2p7l.jpg

Lots of people do it, though admittedly it's harder once you have a kid in tow...

Are you telling me a person who lives and work downtown (single or attached) would finish work at 5/6PM then travel in rush hour traffic to go to Brampton for some sort of normal dinner and then make the trip back?
lol A lot of people downtown don't even have a car so it takes like 1,5 hours to get to Brampton let alone that random strip mall
lol

In this case I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. You'll find more polished, higher end restaurants downtown where you're paying for the quality and experience. Is it objectively better? Depends on how much you value the ambiance. Some of the best food I've had in the city is cheaper eats out in the boroughs, where you can pretty much travel the world through food. I think that's what people are getting at.

Of course you can find good cheap eats downtown too, and nicer dining experiences outside of the core. It's certainly not cut and dry.
I think I sort of agree with you. But I wouldn't say you're simply paying for the ambiance at those polished, higher end restaurants. I think anyone who's been to restaurants like that understands how much better and more exquisite the food can be. While I don't at all disagree that you can find excellent food in the boroughs of all sorts, I don't think that means in any way that there are fewer great options in downtown, which was sort of your implication it seemed (but maybe I'm wrong). And you can most DEFINITELY travel the world through food in downtown Toronto. I live between China Town, Little Italy, and Korea Town, and there are tons of excellent spots for whatever food you desire.

Tenant list reads closely to a suburban strip mall…
I think I sort of agree with you. But I wouldn't say you're simply paying for the ambiance at those polished, higher end restaurants. I think anyone who's been to restaurants like that understands how much better and more exquisite the food can be. While I don't at all disagree that you can find excellent food in the boroughs of all sorts, I don't think that means in any way that there are fewer great options in downtown, which was sort of your implication it seemed (but maybe I'm wrong). And you can most DEFINITELY travel the world through food in downtown Toronto. I live between China Town, Little Italy, and Korea Town, and there are tons of excellent spots for whatever food you desire.

Trying to trace back to how this conversation thread started… and it was me… I'm the villain.

Just to try and bring it back to The Well, while I wish the retail was more fashion focused (not even mom and pop) rather than service focused, I do have high hopes for the food market. It'll be very interesting to see how they compete with the high-end restaurants along King and The Waterworks Food Hall—I see a lot of clientele overlap with the latter.

As long as we don't end up with another Aura basement, I won't be devastated

Yea, I agree with that. If anything I think it's less of a downtown vs. outside of downtown thing, rather new development vs. older areas. The higher rents, unit designs and economics mean we usually get safer options like chains in new developments.

Are you telling me a person who lives and work downtown (single or attached) would finish work at 5/6PM then travel in rush hour traffic to go to Brampton for some sort of normal dinner and then make the trip back?
lol A lot of people downtown don't even have a car so it takes like 1,5 hours to get to Brampton let alone that random strip mall
lol
Before we had a kid, we'd do this somewhat regularly, though we did have a car. But for years I used to work in the middle of Mississauga, so I could get takeout and bring it home!

I don't think anyone would say that living in downtown Toronto you don't have access to all kinds of great food. In fact, it's one of the things that those of us who defend Toronto incessantly despite the high cost of living and issues with transit constantly point to.

That said, Toronto's suburbs give you access to a world of flavours that pretty much no other place on earth does.

Back