Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

A job well done by all parties here
Screenshot_20221123-062804_Gallery.jpg

20221122_162603.jpg

20221122_162551.jpg

Last edited:
November 24, 2022: Another milestone - Building F tower crane coming down today. And Then There Was One - just one crane left from the total of ten cranes that were employed at The Well site. One crane each at Buildings A through F, two cranes at Building G (the office tower), and two cranes used for construction of the concourse levels.

@interchange42

20221124_133223.jpg

20221124_133143.jpg

From an optimist's perspective, this project seems like the next generation of development in the city. The quality of the materials and the architectural expression makes one hopeful that what we see here will become the norm over the next 20 years.
As easy as it is to be cynical about Toronto's cheap, spandrel-laced 2000-2020 architectural character, I do sense that the tide seems to be turning in the last few years. A return to solid exterior walls, a higher level of finesse, etc. in recent proposals and builds. I'm hard-pressed to think that under construction and proposed projects such as The Well, 8 Elm, Aqualuna, or 208 Bloor West would have happened even 10 years ago. Design and build quality standards in this city are, make no mistake, still nowhere close to where they should be (not to mention our still-horrendous urban realm with its dangling wires, rusting lamp poles, crass cement sidewalk pavings, and cracked asphalt). But in the midst of all this negativity and pessimism it's important to zoom out and look at the bigger picture of things actually going uphill in many aspects (or at least starting to).

Last edited:

Very mid-century retro.
Here's a retail entrance at Bentall Centre in Vancouver (But I think they have plans to redo it):

IMG_9118.jpg

Back