Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Slightly off topic, but this photo beautifully illustrates the differences between window wall and curtainwall, especially in the way they attach to the slab. Curtainwall, on the right, sits entirely off of the slab, as illustrated by that top panel. Window wall, on the other hand, rest on the slab itself, and requires much more apparent spandrel to hide the slab edge between floors; clearly illustrated on the left.
Then you have this nightmare across the street at The Taylor that manages to make curtain wall look terrible.
EEA314BE-3B4A-4234-BF4B-FEB7EF693C04.jpeg

Super reflective window wall on that third tower. This complex is always much more impressive in person than photos can make it out to be, the scale is breathtaking.

View attachment 339934

Also a small update on the retail, the pet store chain Bone & Biscuits now has a basement unit here, their first entry into the Toronto market proper. Great location as there aren't many other pet stores nearby.
View attachment 339935
The Well will be B&B's third location. Their first will be in Liberty Market Tower: https://www.boneandbiscuit.ca/location/liberty-village/ and second will be in Westblock: https://www.boneandbiscuit.ca/location/westblock/

Entertainment themed dining? The kid in me is thinking Rainforest Café (the comeback), but a Dave & Busters would be cool here.

Man, I drove by this yesterday, and now that the other towers are starting to rise, and whole bottom office area is taking shape, this project is starting show the true scale of itself.

Like the office tower seemed even bigger to me. Just the impression I got.

August 11: Another milestone for The Well project - Landscaping of the Wellington Street boulevard is starting. The work is to be done in stages, with the first step being the boulevard in front of the 401 Wellington Street building. The boulevard areas, except for the walk path to the front door, was fenced off yesterday, and this morning contract staff are on site. The contract for at least the stretch on the south side of Wellington between Spadina and Draper is being handled by Delterra.

City council approved a motion requiring the entire Wellington Street boulevard area, north and south sides , between Spadina and Portland be coordinated, along with the parkland dedication on the north side of Wellington - known informally as the 'Cat Park', based on an initial proposed design by Claude Cormier. Presumably (an assumption on my part), the design of what is being started now is as per the original approved design as submitted to the City. I do not know the design status of the components other than the south side stretch between Spadina and Draper that are now underway, whether they have been finalized - so I do not know if the contract with Delterra, would be a challenge if the design has not been finalized and approved.

The work on the south side of Wellington is to be done in stages, starting with the work in front of the 401 Wellington building. The next stage is to be the boulevard in front of the building at the south-east corner of Wellington and Draper - the Osmington building at 479 Wellington Street West. The boulevard areas in front of the Well's north side residential buildings will come later, as the construction related activities currently occupying these areas are completed.

Tho photos of the fenced off boulevard areas in front of 401 Wellington:

And as side note for those who may not be aware - the Wellington Street right of way, including the 'city allowance' between Spadina and Portland is very wide. All the building frontages on both the north and south sides of Wellington are basically at their lot lines, all else is the City's boulevard area. All the parking areas in front of the buildings are city property, for which boulevard parking permits have been in place, which is what is allowing the boulevard ares to be redeveloped.

20210811_084143.jpg

20210811_084150.jpg

Last edited:

Back