Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

IMG-20210116-WA0003.jpg

The way this is building out Wellington looks so good from this perspective above that @aznih_aznih posted. This is doing a great job of filling in the transition between the tower zones south of the tracks/east of Spadina and the topology of the King West area.

Last edited:
I'm sure its been answered before somewhere but is there anything that prevents developers from using yellow, red, purple, etc glass? Why green and blue every single time?

I'm sure its been answered before somewhere but is there anything that prevents developers from using yellow, red, purple, etc glass? Why green and blue every single time?
Yellow in particular - think about when you wear a pair of reflective-tinted yellow sunglasses. The world outside tends to appear... greener.

If you've ever been in an office at 200 Bay (RBC) then you'll understand why developers don't do this.

Tenants are not attracted to looking out their window and feeling like they're in The Matrix.

For red and purple, I'm not a physicist, but I'd speculate that there are similar issues.

Yellow in particular - think about when you wear a pair of reflective-tinted yellow sunglasses. The world outside tends to appear... greener.

If you've ever been in an office at 200 Bay (RBC) then you'll understand why developers don't do this.

Tenants are not attracted to looking out their window and feeling like they're in The Matrix.

For red and purple, I'm not a physicist, but I'd speculate that there are similar issues.
Thanks for the answer. Makes sense. I guess with that knowledge I'd probably prefer perfectly clear glass but that's a personal thing.

Thanks for the answer. Makes sense. I guess with that knowledge I'd probably prefer perfectly clear glass but that's a personal thing.
Green glass is the least expensive glass to make: that's why we see it often, end of story.

When an increasing number of complaints about cheap green glass came up in recent years, there was a move to use glass with less iron in the mix. Sources of low-iron silica sand are rarer, so it's more expensive. If you can't get the low-iron silica sand and want ultra-clear windows, you have to remove the iron from the mix, and that's expensive.

Blue glass, or high-reflectivity/mirrored glass, or other tints, generally have a film applied to them to improve thermal properties, make it low-emissivity. That's more expensive too, but building codes and various performance standards call for more sustainable buildings these days, so increasingly we see these coated glasses being specified for buildings.

Back