Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Reflective, green glass in 1990 -- 7/10
Reflective, green glass in 2020 -- 2/10

Real Structural Expressionism in 1986 -- 10/10
Paper-thin, value-engineered, surface "Structural Expressionism" in 2020 -- 2/10

1605392920514.png

Source

Last edited:
I'm not sure the office portion of this project was to intended to be super shiny like that...

It wasn't. The point was that the execution of a very similar element was done MUCH MUCH better on the Lloyd's building. The quality gap is substantial.
I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. As the only claim you can really make is that there may have some influenced in design from Lloyd's in the stairwell...but not by much though. The rest of the building doesn't even look like the Lloyd's one, even by stretch.

With that said, quality should be addressed separately for this project. And there has been plenty of questions raised on that through out this thread, including from myself.

Reflective, green glass in 1990 -- 7/10
Reflective, green glass in 2020 -- 2/10

Real Structural Expressionism in 1986 -- 10/10
Paper-thin, value-engineered, surface "Structural Expressionism" in 2020 -- 2/10

View attachment 282910

Source
Outside of a few design cues, they're really not similar at all. Lloyds was a statement head office for a 300+ year old insurance institution, and cost between $650-700 (2020 rates) / ft. due to extreme customization. The Well is a speculative office building, designed to make money for its developers and asset managers (Allied and RioCan). I would be surprised if it's being constructed for more than $350-400 / ft.

There's very little similarity outside of the fact that they're both 'buildings'...

If it weren't for First Canadian Place and Brookfield Place above, I wouldn't have recognized this was taken in Toronto, let alone which part of the City. Goes to show how much the skyline has changed in the past 10 years.

Back