Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Now you can start to see the glazed windows of the tower having more of a mirror reflective look than the podium does. As seen in the photos up above!

I wish there was more of a contrast- maybe the podium clad in a darker grey glass to visually set it apart from the tower.

I'm also mildly intrigued by the exterior tower design- it's looks like its Structural Expressionism is only going to be skin deep, so I wonder how elements like the cross-bracing will end up looking?

At the moment, it looks like they'll be directly attached to the glass facade, rather than being pinned at the ends?

I think losing the red fins along the podium was a huge mistake. It’s just so flat and lifeless. At least the tower has a few ins and outs and the cross bracing to give it some interest but the podium is just going to end up being reflected early cityplace buildings and office window shades.

It's not that bad in my opinion lol. I feel like it's raised high above the street enough that when you're walking by you'll pay more attention to what's going on underneath.

In my opinion, we should look on the bright side, which is at least it didn't end up looking like Emerald Park's podium.

Edit: Even if it does, at least it (hopefully) won't have a giant vape shop logo for everyone to see.

I think losing the red fins along the podium was a huge mistake. It’s just so flat and lifeless. At least the tower has a few ins and outs and the cross bracing to give it some interest but the podium is just going to end up being reflected early cityplace buildings and office window shades.

A potential gain we have here though, is that Shopify, Spaces, and other tech tenants that are occupying the Well tend to animate their window areas with bright design, interior offices, and innovative choices that should make this flat wall seem a bit more alive from the inside.

A potential gain we have here though, is that Shopify, Spaces, and other tech tenants that are occupying the Well tend to animate their window areas with bright design, interior offices, and innovative choices that should make this flat wall seem a bit more alive from the inside.

Tangentially related to this thread and that point, Shopify yesterday became the most valuable company *in Canada.*

1588863816538.png

I don't think anyone is claiming this is a disaster - people are just pointing out that the material selection and final finishes of the cladding leave a bit to be desired.

Tangentially related to this thread and that point, Shopify yesterday became the most valuable company *in Canada.*

View attachment 244535
To anyone here on UT potentially holding a stake in this company, sell while you're ahead this wont last we've seen this time and time again.

But in anycase, looking forward to them moving into this complex ;)

Indeed, Shopify are hot right now. Pretty much all the local online clothing and face mask makers I've been supporting lately are using their eCommerce platform.

Indeed, Shopify are hot right now. Pretty much all the local online clothing and face mask makers I've been supporting lately are using their eCommerce platform.
Even websites dedicated to extreme political news use Shopify that its founder personally finds repulsive but continues to do business with them.

Even websites dedicated to extreme political news use Shopify that its founder personally finds repulsive but continues to do business with them.
Yup, I've thought about applying to work at Shopify but I couldn't in good conscience accept a paycheque that included even a cent of Breitbart's money. A shame, because they seem like a nice place to work aside from the taking money from fascists thing. ?

Yup, I've thought about applying to work at Shopify but I couldn't in good conscience accept a paycheque that included even a cent of Breitbart's money. A shame, because they seem like a nice place to work aside from the taking money from fascists thing. ?
I'm not sure if I would feel better about profiteering off of the Chinese Communist Party or the plethora of Western companies actively engaged in the environmental destruction of the planet to feed our rampant consumerism.

I'm not sure if I would feel better about profiteering off of the Chinese Communist Party or the plethora of Western companies actively engaged in the environmental destruction of the planet to feed our rampant consumerism.
I'd still choose Western companies that destroy the environment over 1984esc facist Chinese companies that also destroy the environment, while selling all your information to an evil authoritarian government.

Back