Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

^Aren't movie theaters declining because of online streaming?

I really wouldn't say that, going to a movie is still an experience, something people enjoy with friends/... that's not something easily replicated in a small sub-800 square foot condo (or even a large house for that matter).

With that said, unless cineplex @ scotiabank is going to close permanently, from what I recall they were going to keep the venue at the same location after construction ... I don't think the area would support another movie theater ! The 3 major ones downtown (not counting a lot of other smaller venues) are likely more than enough for the demand.

Maybe cineplex deems their current location better overall (even if it means closing down for 3/4 years during construction) having a temporary venue in the well doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

^If Cineplex is crazy enough to think that their space at Yonge-Dundas, or even Varsity would be better than a location with a fantastic layout over at The Well, then they're highly delusional. People only go to Yonge-Dundas because it's in a convenient location, asides from that people would choose Scotiabank Theatre 9 times out of 10. Varsity is a whole other matter; it's in an inconspicuous concrete bunker and while it's at a very convenient location, it's smaller and more intimate compared to a regular Cineplex. I'd really say Downtown Toronto has 2 and a half theatres because i wouldn't count Varsity as a full fledged theatre. Let's also remember that once RioCan Hall replaces Scotiabank Theatre, the space there will be even smaller than at Scotiabank.

The population downtown is growing at an incredible rate, and King/Spadina has the fastest goring population in the downtown core so I wouldn't be concerned at all about whether or not there would be enough demand. There would be plenty as it would draw visitors in from the western and southern edges of the downtown core in addition to CityPlace/The Well residents.

Imgur is owned by Reddit even.

Not really. Imgur was created as a response to frustrated Redditors (If you've been there awhile, you might remember the days of third-party image hosts where everything would load BUT the image itself). But Imgur has been distancing itself from Reddit lately as it seeks to forge its own identity and become a profitable company in its own right.

Now back on topic...

Saturday:

KOT_5340.jpg

I forget, is The Well going to be connected to the PATH?
No, but there is a planned future underground connection to the new Spadina GO station, which will be on the Barrie Line.

The closest the PATH gets to The Well is Metro Hall. Oxford's redevelopment further east on Front will extend it closer, but there will still be a block of condos between it and The Well that won't be redeveloping any time soon.

No, but there is a planned future underground connection to the new Spadina GO station, which will be on the Barrie Line.

The closest the PATH gets to The Well is Metro Hall. Oxford's redevelopment further east on Front will extend it closer, but there will still be a block of condos between it and The Well that won't be redeveloping any time soon.
Bummer. A PATH connex. out to Spadina would be epic.

Can't wait to see the curtain wall on the office tower. I hope they use dark glaze windows like the CIBC Tower that's getting built!

They could in theory go under Front toward the 400 Front development. It won’t happen but it’d be pretty amazing to have The Well connected to PATH.

Nah, I hope they use ultra-low iron glass similiar to what's been used at say 7 St.. Thomas.

AoD
I just hope it's not too transparent. We have too much of that in the downtown core! The CIBC stick out from a distance because of its deep blue glazed curtain wall .

I just hope it's not too transparent. We have too much of that in the downtown core! The CIBC stick out from a distance because of its deep blue glazed curtain wall .

I am hoping for the exact opposite - ultra transparency. The design of the tower will make it a good fit.

AoD

Back