Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Tridel better not disappoint on this, and this better not be the final product. This is an opportunity to do something special in this city and we dont need another one of Tridel's typical lackluster products here.

The quality of the materials (namely glass) will be key. I'm not opposed to these towers being solid background to the signature office tower. You can go overboard with everything having to stand out. See London's skyline.

The quality of the materials (namely glass) will be key. I'm not opposed to these towers being solid background to the signature office tower.

and secondary to the podiums - which have a nice variation between them and a great material palette.

The quality of the materials (namely glass) will be key. I'm not opposed to these towers being solid background to the signature office tower. You can go overboard with everything having to stand out. See London's skyline.

I like London's skyline. It has fewer high-rise buildings, but the skyscrapers are singular landmarks that still go well together. It looks like a place that matters.

London's one look at me building after another; desperate to get noticed. I like Canary Wharf but the rest is turning into a tacky theme park. Reminds me of all those nouveau riche people who spend a lot of money but still end up with a dog's breakfast.

Hopefully when the novelty of skyscrapers wears off in London they'll move towards more timeless elegant designs.

I think there were warnings the moment Tridel got a hold of the residential portion of the site.

This is really one of those sites they should not cheap out on material-wise- I hope Wallman, HP and the other developers can exert some pressure on Tridel.

The moment when the perceived quality of the site drops is the moment retail expectations also drop.

HP have nothing to do with the residential components - and even if they did - I'm not sure what pressure they could exert on Tridel

Not to get too OT, but I find the London discussion here a bit strange; Canary Wharf and the City towers aren't really seen by Londoners as particularly relevant parts of London's "skyline", much less the focal point of it, and the actual ground level experiences in both of those neighbourhoods are seen as sterile dumping grounds for wealthy bankers that don't contribute much of worth to the city's fabric.

I'm very excited for this development because I think it'll get the pedestrian realm right and introduce some relatively new and interesting typologies into Toronto. IMO the plans shouldn't be judged based solely on the relative timidity of the aA towers or the banality of the Wallman mid-rises, and mostly uninspiring designs of the higher elevations of those buildings is certainly the lesser of two evils.

If there is a consolation prize, aA is not known to mess up execution (though with Tridel - Verve underwhelms, and Form is an unknown at this point).

AoD

Back