Toronto The Sterling Automotive | 69.2m | 19s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

So, not to be a debbie downer or anything but there are literally hundreds of studios this size in condos all over downtown. There were like 80 of these for rent in Wellesley on the Park alone. It's not ideal but it's also not a new thing either

10.png

I freely confess, I rarely pay attention to floor plans.

I'm not a realtor, nor in the market.

I'm usually merely interested in the outward face and function of a property.

That said........I was certainly not oblivious to the move to sub 600ft2 units or even sub 500ft2 units; the latter which already struck me as ridiculous.

I wasn't aware of the sub 400ft2 trend, which has obviously been going on a while. My oversight.

Honestly.........too small..........we need to impose minimum unit sizes unless we're actually dealing w/a purpose-built rooming house.

I can't fathom renting or buying at this size.

As long as there is demand, developers will keep pumping idiotic spaces like what we've seen posted above. I'm not surprised at all, and unfortunately these will be snapped up by buyers/renters with ease.

Personally i'd never live in a shoe box where the width of a unit is literally the size of two of me laying across.

I freely confess, I rarely pay attention to floor plans.

I'm not a realtor, nor in the market.

I'm usually merely interested in the outward face and function of a property.

That said........I was certainly not oblivious to the move to sub 600ft2 units or even sub 500ft2 units; the latter which already struck me as ridiculous.

I wasn't aware of the sub 400ft2 trend, which has obviously been going on a while. My oversight.

Honestly.........too small..........we need to impose minimum unit sizes unless we're actually dealing w/a purpose-built rooming house.

I can't fathom renting or buying at this size.
we do have minimum size units - 250sf I believe is the minimum in the code. And if you ask me, that's fine.

These unit's aren't ideal but they aren't designed for a family to live in. They are the type of units that are usually occupied by a student or twenty something just starting out.

They are almost always investment units though, not many people would want to own a unit that small to actually live in it long term.

Lamb's Woodsworth project or whatever it is on Richmond is almost entirely little bachelor or small 1 bed units like that.

we do have minimum size units - 250sf I believe is the minimum in the code. And if you ask me, that's fine.

These unit's aren't ideal but they aren't designed for a family to live in. They are the type of units that are usually occupied by a student or twenty something just starting out.

They are almost always investment units though, not many people would want to own a unit that small to actually live in it long term.

Lamb's Woodsworth project or whatever it is on Richmond is almost entirely little bachelor or small 1 bed units like that.

Yah, you have weird preferences though..............:p

A unit of that size is a hotel room.

I couldn't imagine abiding that for more than 2 weeks; we're i traveling.

Holy @#$# Units as tiny as 351ft2......?

Really.

That's roughly the size of my living room and I'm in a multi-res. building.

That's not even funny, we're migrating from stupid small to idiotically small.

That's not a Condo, its a spot in a rooming house.

That aside, the street presence is terrible.

And it's not even downtown.

The joke's on whatever saps throw down hundreds of G's for this garbage.

I think the tower itself is quite interesting. It shows some contemporary Berlin and institutional influences. Agreed with some other comments that the grade level treatment is rather cold though, especially on the Bloor frontage. The extended continuation of the motif along the side street is also overkill.

@Northern Light iirc, there was a project somewhere on King East selling sub 300 sq.ft. units...
edit: I believe the smallest units in that building were 220 sq.ft. So we're going to see sub 200 units soon like Vancouver and Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Norway's Maximum Security Prison is 110ft2 per cell.

But access to multiple common areas, and outdoor space.

Images below are from: https://www.nairaland.com/4279221/12-most-luxurious-prisons-world (unless otherwise stated)

1603387465652.png

Common Area:

This photo is from here:
:
1603387490225.png

1603387503631.png

Below is also from this link::

1603387526523.png

Outdoor space for prisoners:

1603387544687.png

We really ought not to be at a point, where 2k+ per month rent and/or a purchase price exceeding 600k gets you something comparable with a Norwegian Prison.

Last edited:
I live in this neighborhood and I think, in general, the style of this building fits in well. That being said, there is no way I'm going to accept 18 stories with virtually no public realm without a fight. At most, this lot should be 12 floors.

Also, micro apartments are selling at -20% right now. Let's hope that trend continues so insufferable living conditions that these units embody fail to remain economically viable investments.

It does seem overly small, especially for a tower of this size in a location that isn't all that central -- Short term rentals would be less common here.
The exterior looks good to me save the street level. This should have 3-4 retail units between the Bloor frontage and the lobby on Ruttan. The ground level should address the corner at Ruttan better as well.

Lamb loves small units so it makes sense.

350sf is pretty typical for a bachelor.. not sure why it's such a big deal. It's very common and has been for a long time. Would I live in one? heck no. but I get how it works. I imagine most people living in them are only there for a year or two typically as an affordable place to get your feet on the ground, until they can find something better. Or as a short term rental, as @Ward8 mentioned.

They also likely wouldn't rent for $2k. Bachelors even in the Entertainment district weren't renting for that prior to the Pandemic. I imagine if those units at this location were on the market today, they would fetch closer to $1400. If that.

Norway's Maximum Security Prison is 110ft2 per cell.

But access to multiple common areas, and outdoor space.

View attachment 278384

Common Area:

View attachment 278385

View attachment 278386

View attachment 278387

Outdoor space for prisoners:

View attachment 278388

We really ought not to be at a point, where 2k+ per month rent and/or a purchase price exceeding 600k gets you something comparable with a Norwegian Prison.
hahahha so good!
Thanks for the comparison
It's nuts

Back