Toronto The Sterling Automotive | 69.2m | 19s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

The height and density sounds reasonable to me. Considering this is Lamb, we should likely be getting more work by aA here.

1405 BLOOR ST W
Ward 9: Davenport

So, it's been a while since I've looked, but it seems the city's Development Applications page has changed? I can't seem to locate the application documents anymore (or maybe they just haven't been uploaded yet in this case?).

Anyone know how to get to the architectural drawings?

So, it's been a while since I've looked, but it seems the city's Development Applications page has changed? I can't seem to locate the application documents anymore (or maybe they just haven't been uploaded yet in this case?).

Anyone know how to get to the architectural drawings?
The City just received them on September 29. They'll be posted soon… but there's no way to know in advance which day they'll be added to the page you've linked to.

architectsAlliance: 18 storeys (67.50 metres including MPH)

1602630206065.png

1602630221831.png

1602630348691.png

1602630365457.png

It's a long sucker, isn't it?

I see a major issue here. The townhouse entrances are not facing a street and are 0m from the adjacent lot. Do you walk on the adjacent property to enter your own home? What happens if that lot gets developed?

I was ready to like this, and am at least glad they're not eating the entire block over to Sterling, but its monolithic approach to the street and ground level on all sides is incredibly disappointing. From what can be seen in these renders it adds nothing to the public realm in any way — just hostile walls and glass. This whole stretch suffers from a number of buildings built in a completely hostile way to the street and it seems like developers are just accepting that as the norm for the area and perpetuating it.

Looks good but that row housing across the street should never have been approved. Ugly architecture/low quality aside it's way too close to the street. It's an absolutely wretched stretch of sidewalk and not fixable unless it's bulldozed.
Agreed, this section of Bloor is a total failure of planning. This development, and BeBloor on the other side of the street, make me so mad. They suck all the life out of this section of Bloor, and they'll be around for another generation at least. Between the mobility hub at Dundas and the future Lansdowne GO station, this section of street has potential to see lots of pedestrian traffic, but what a miserable place to walk.

I actually like the form quite a bit. Ground level design can be improved.

But, uhh, some of the unit layouts here...

The row of one bedroom units on the ground floor are mostly 3.8 metres wide...

1602645225026.png

I think the mezzanine floor plan is actually worse, though. There's a one bedroom unit in which (what would appear to be) a hallway counts as 1/3rd of the square footage. And then there are multiple units with a depth of just three metres. Also, that zig-zag hallway is quite something, though I don't really know how you would get around that considering the opening for the loading space below.

1602645298912.png

Floors two and three are better, but still retain the ridiculously shallow units on the south half of the building.

1602646176735.png

Those ground floor ones are narrow but have two sides of window exposure with private patios on the rear. It's a little odd, but thinking more about it that kind of unit actually seems pretty nice considering a lot of 1beds only have one side of exposure so not great for natural cross breeze. The hallways are weird but I actually don't mind the wide and shallow units as they get way more window space than studios or bachelors usually get.

Holy @#$# Units as tiny as 351ft2......?

Really.

That's roughly the size of my living room and I'm in a multi-res. building.

That's not even funny, we're migrating from stupid small to idiotically small.

That's not a Condo, its a spot in a rooming house.

That aside, the street presence is terrible.

Holy @#$# Units as tiny as 351ft2......?

Really.

That's roughly the size of my living room and I'm in a multi-res. building.

That's not even funny, we're migrating from stupid small to idiotically small.

That's not a Condo, its a spot in a rooming house.

So, not to be a debbie downer or anything but there are literally hundreds of studios this size in condos all over downtown. There were like 80 of these for rent in Wellesley on the Park alone. It's not ideal but it's also not a new thing either

10.png

another example from River City and Harbour Plaza

Md27yw7DD2fATs36mN7WDo-NEkeXqCoDtrQQPCZoXF4s5IDUSHen7vzuauvhaePbdwYl5lnhhDKYDLEy5aoD21Ughczigx_-DOwMBPoudaSVtlY0twJjOzLp

original.jpg

Back