Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

I'm counting 53 storeys in that render. I wonder if they're now thinking of going higher, based on what's proposed on the east side?

They are onto something really good here. Colour done right is so badly needed on the skyline but it needs to come much closer to the brick of the mansion or I think the dominant structure will dwarf the historic structure if they go with that colour.
Who could have imagined sitting in Boots for all those years (um, decades!) thinking that a highrise would someday takes it's place.

http://blog.mycondomylife.com/cityzen-developments/2012/10/sam-talks-sherbourne-selby.html

SAM TALKS: SHERBOURNE & SELBY

10/30/2012

What people first notice when they see the Sherbourne & Selby rendering is probably the colour. In fact the colour is still up in the air. The architect still needs to finalize the cladding material and the ultimate colour. He felt strongly about distinguishing this building from the ones around it. The cladding material will be different from what you typically find, which is glass, metal or concrete precast. The material itself will be unique, as well as the colour.

There are all kinds of new products being used all over the world, like various options in ceramic and clay. We're exploring the possibilities right now. In most high rise condos the colour comes from the glass, whether it be green, blue or grey. We're going to shift the focus to the cladding, which is usually just an accent. Colour is a huge part of this design.

Another important part of the project is the restoration of the Gooderham Mansion. We'll be returning it to its original state and incorporating the mansion into the overall design. We're looking into housing some of the amenities there, as well as ground level retail. The house will be moved closer to the street and will remain a strong presence on Sherbourne.

We're spending a lot of time to make sure it will be incorporated into the design and not just an addition. When we're done there will be real synergy between the two contrasting elements, both of which fit in in the neighbourhood.

Excellent architecture and design, historic preservation, and density. All near transit and an area of the city that frankly could use the investment.

What a great development!

We need more lively buildings like this, instead of those cheap looking green glass ones all over the place.
I am glad we have a way to preserve old historical building while adding incredible density to the downtown core. North Jarvis-Sherbourne corridor is on fire now. :D

Back