Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

Was it my use of glue? Thank you but, I'm fully versed in the process. It's a failure point and there is a history of delamination over time.

Precast, masonry, and caulking/sealants are all pretty well-established technologies, so I'm not sure there's much to be worried about relative to other systems we see in this city. I think window walls are a lot more problematic and represent a far greater number of failure points, and the failure points here would be easier to manage over time. It all comes down to the quality of the system spec'd but it sounds and looks like they've put a real emphasis on the envelope design here.

Last edited:
I think the texture and colour of the brick looks great, but am I the only one who notices and/or is bothered by the fact that you can clearly see the joints between panels? This seems to be pretty much the norm when it comes to precast brick cladding solutions (even if it is real brick)--and you can even see it on other types of more expensive cladding, such as at 2 St. Thomas--and it always cheapens the overall appearance for me. I wonder if they could make panels with uneven/offset silhouettes, following the outer edge of the final bricks in each row so that each panel could interlock with the one next to it, creating a more seamless look overall. I guess it would probably be more expensive.

Precast, masonry, and caulking/sealants are all pretty well-established technologies, so I'm not sure there's much to be worried about relative to other systems we see in this city. I think window walls are a lot more problematic and represent a far greater number of failure points, and the failure points here would be easier t It all comes down to the quality of the system spec'd but it sounds and looks like they've put a real emphasis on the envelope design here.

3/8th of an inch embedded in concrete should be fine even up at 50 storeys. It's the potential I worry about over time. The conditions at 50 floors up are harsher and it's out of sight. Glass falling off of high rises in downtown Toronto gets all the attention but people get injured by masonry/tile dropping off of buildings frequently.

I think the texture and colour of the brick looks great, but am I the only one who notices and/or is bothered by the fact that you can clearly see the joints between panels? This seems to be pretty much the norm when it comes to precast brick cladding solutions (even if it is real brick)--and you can even see it on other types of more expensive cladding, such as at 2 St. Thomas--and it always cheapens the overall appearance for me. I wonder if they could make panels with uneven/offset silhouettes, following the outer edge of the final bricks in each row so that each panel could interlock with the one next to it, creating a more seamless look overall. I guess it would probably be more expensive.

Ordinary brick walls sometimes have expansion gaps too. It's not something that's solely associated with cladding panels. With that said, all the panels should create one continuous pattern.

Newbie question here - when the brick is assembled in large pieces like that, are the individual bricks actually mortared together? The gaps between them are so small and I wonder if there's another way of attaching them together.

Nothing much new here. But photos from this morning for the sake of photos.

A trailer loaded with Selby panels was parked on the Via Bloor site. This allowed for closeups of the Selby brick and the structure of the brick panel.

selbybrick1_720.jpg

selbybrick2_720.jpg
selbybrick3_.jpg

Attachments

• selbybrick1_720.jpg
    selbybrick1_720.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 669
  • selbybrick2_720.jpg
    selbybrick2_720.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 611
  • selbybrick3_.jpg
    selbybrick3_.jpg