Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

I am very into this as well. SO REFRESHING to see punched opening facade rather than yet another big spandrelly-vancouvery green-glass monster. Toronto needs more of this, imo.

A lot more of it. I associate red brick with Toronto. It adds a rich colour and texture to the city. I'd love to see developers choose it for their condo towers all over the place. Shade and quality of brick is all important though. 365 Church (or whatever it's called) is testament to that.

A lot more of it. I associate red brick with Toronto. It adds a rich colour and texture to the city. I'd love to see developers choose it for their condo towers all over the place. Shade and quality of brick is all important though. 365 Church (or whatever it's called) is testament to that.

Agreed re. color of brick and the built heritage of Toronto architecture. But, not only that - I would way rather buy a unit in a building like this than in a window-wall tower. I think it would be a much wiser investment since down the road a window might fail here and there, but not the entire facade all at once. I pity the poor owners of glassy condos who are going to wake up one day to the reality of the exorbitantly high condo fees that will be required to reclad those leaky sieves. I guess in the long run they'll either become slums or luxury addresses, depending on how they're maintained?

Completely agreed. If a developer only wants to pay for local brick (stuff used on suburban homes, essentially), it's bad news. But when the masonry used is a cut above, the result is overwhelmingly worth it!

Completely agreed. If a developer only wants to pay for local brick (stuff used on suburban homes, essentially), it's bad news. But when the masonry used is a cut above, the result is overwhelmingly worth it!

Brick masonry isn't a sign of stinginess. It's probably more expensive to install "local brick" by hand than manufactured panels. I've seen nothing to suggest that locally made bricks like those used on suburban houses are inferior; however, these brick panels may prove more durable than actual brick masonry.

Brick masonry isn't a sign of stinginess. It's probably more expensive to install "local brick" by hand than manufactured panels. I've seen nothing to suggest that locally made bricks like those used on suburban houses are inferior; however, these brick panels may prove more durable than actual brick masonry.

I never said using brick is a sign of stinginess - I said that local brick is much cheaper (and it is; trust me on that). It's often uglier because there is less selection (a number of the more notable masonry suppliers are American).

I never said using brick is a sign of stinginess - I said that local brick is much cheaper (and it is; trust me on that). It's often uglier because there is less selection (a number of the more notable masonry suppliers are American).

There are a number of styles of brick used in the suburbs that I wouldn't want to see on a Modernist skyscraper. The pink and light orange shades come to mind. But in the right context, local styles can be used to good effect.

Agreed re. color of brick and the built heritage of Toronto architecture. But, not only that - I would way rather buy a unit in a building like this than in a window-wall tower. I think it would be a much wiser investment since down the road a window might fail here and there, but not the entire facade all at once. I pity the poor owners of glassy condos who are going to wake up one day to the reality of the exorbitantly high condo fees that will be required to reclad those leaky sieves. I guess in the long run they'll either become slums or luxury addresses, depending on how they're maintained?

Not to mention, they just feel more solid. I've lived in those all glass towers. Feel flimsy.

Looks awesome.

Out of curiosity, what would the rationale be for starting the cladding on the 5th floor? Anyone know?

It's part of the design. The first two floors will have a black/dark grey brick cladding, the third and fourth floors will be a white/light grey cladding, and then from the fifth floor up it will be the red brick cladding.

It appears that they are almost done the fifth floor and have started on the sixth. It also appears that they have the glass for the windows on the fifth floor waiting to be installed.

It's part of the design. The first two floors will have a black/dark grey brick cladding, the third and fourth floors will be a white/light grey cladding, and then from the fifth floor up it will be the red brick cladding.

It appears that they are almost done the fifth floor and have started on the sixth. It also appears that they have the glass for the windows on the fifth floor waiting to be installed.

Thanks @Kahlua17 ! Somehow I thought the red brick was going down to the ground.

I like it though I expected more of a CBC red for some reason.

images.jpeg

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 671
This tower gives me hope for the future of architecture in Toronto condos.

Developers, if you're listening, more of this. Please please please. Any colour brick.

I like brick. I do have reservations on brick being used on a 50 storey highrise. Of course this isn't really brick and I have even greater concerns with the durability of the glue between the brick veneer and the precast concrete panels.

Back