Toronto The Queen | 58.81m | 16s | Lamb Dev Corp | A&Architects

Lamb will likely choose his go-to firm aA here. Ideally, I'd like to see at least see an attempt at rebuilding or an interpretation of the original rowhouses, but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose not to.

Awkward proportions all but one of the 3D views show no context (imo misleadingly). 15 storeys here I don't see standing a chance. Ground level materiality etc. is promising but otherwise....ehh. And of course the units are bowling alleys.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 1.18.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 1.18.49 PM.png

I don’t have a big issue with height when the ground level and podium have a good design. However the fact that they’ve likely committed arson to build this and nothing comes of the investigation demonstrates how the condo development industry in Toronto is rotten to the core. On top of that most of the unit layouts are unattractive cash grabs, like all Lamb Developments. Unit layouts don’t matter so much when up to 90% of your sales go to foreign buyers looking to park their money somewhere.

Last edited:
I don’t have a big issue with height when the ground level and podium have a good design. However the fact that they’ve likely committed arson to build this and nothing comes of the investigation demonstrates how the condo development industry in Toronto is rotten to the core. On top of that most of the unit layouts are unattractive cash grabs, like all Lamb Developments. Unit layouts don’t matter so much when up to 90% of your sales go to foreign buyers looking to park their money somewhere.
Developers do not need to light the fires themselves, or even pay people to light them. Just leave a building empty and not well secured and it will happen. Maybe a random pyromaniac but more likely a homeless person trying to keep warm!

Unit layouts don’t matter so much when up to 90% of your sales go to foreign buyers looking to park their money somewhere.

This is an oft-repeated misnomer. There is a very important difference between a unit that is owned by a foreign investor and a vacant unit; they are not synonymous.

This is an oft-repeated misnomer. There is a very important difference between a unit that is owned by a foreign investor and a vacant unit; they are not synonymous.
I’m well aware of the difference. My point is that foreign buyers purchase units as investments, not lifestyles. Bowling alley unit layouts aren’t a big concern when the buyers will never step foot inside the unit and rental income or higher resale value is guaranteed with low housing supply and high demand.

Mr. Brad has me sold on that arch though. Hope that and the brickwork stays.

Awkward proportions all but one of the 3D views show no context (imo misleadingly). 15 storeys here I don't see standing a chance. Ground level materiality etc. is promising but otherwise....ehh. And of course the units are bowling alleys.

View attachment 294902

View attachment 294901
Love the podium
More of these should have been built in the Entertainment District/King West

podium will be amazing. glass part will be boring but i believe in Lamb, glass should be high quality.

podium will be amazing. glass part will be boring but i believe in Lamb, glass should be high quality.
Despite all my hesitations about how he does business, his approach to planning, etc., I agree that he deserves credits for executing buildings well with aA. New architect this time, much smaller and less experienced, it seems. See what happens.

Back