Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

The Ferry terminal proposals includes harbour baths but, can you imagine two being built? We'd be the hippest city on this side of the pond!

Sydney Australia has swimming pools built right on the beach, overlooking the ocean. They look really good. Some even have a bar beside them. I wouldn't mind a few places like that on our waterfront, especially indoor/outside combinations, so they could be used all year round.

Beautiful!

I posted the info below in the EIFS thread, but I'm also posting this here to keep track of whatever they do to this poor thing. I'll post pictures as the 'modernization' advances.

I urge you to email the manager to get this stopped, though.

I live in the condo directly next to the building and this paint job is a marked improvement! It looks fantastic and I can't wait for it to be completed. I think you need to get your eyesight checked.

Sydney Australia has swimming pools built right on the beach, overlooking the ocean. They look really good. Some even have a bar beside them. I wouldn't mind a few places like that on our waterfront, especially indoor/outside combinations, so they could be used all year round.

Idunno about the indoor pool thing, but don't these qualify as pools on the beach?

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.15 PM.png
    806.9 KB · Views: 2,002
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 2.04.37 PM.png
    659.3 KB · Views: 1,989
Except the image you've posted is an EIFS refinishing, whereas MLQ is being painted; at least the texture and patterning of the brick will be retained. The biggest issue here is its potential appearance a few years down the road if the paint isn't judicially maintained. Lest we have 21 storeys of this.

I'm hoping that since they are clearly putting in a lot of money to paint them in the first place that money will go into maintaining it. They halted work over the winter because paint does not adhere well in cold weather, so they're already demonstrating that this project is thought out.

The black framed windows, especially with the red accent panels really saves it.
I curious how they are going to reclad the north and south ends of the building? Black and/or red for those sides and red for the mechanical box on top would look really nice.

I've always disliked this building and I know I'm not alone. But dare I say the new windows and '50 shades of grey' may save it. It almost looks like an older loft building.

The new windows do save it. It looks like an old warehouse style loft. What can make it really work is if they replace the base connecting the two towers with an all glass façade with restaurants along the quay. This would make an excellent place for patios. Walking along Queens Quay and looking down at the patios by the water would turn this from an eyesore into a highly desirable spot on the waterfront.

aYLvyRB.jpg

source: Apple Maps

Dare I say, this could be very much like a Rockerfeller Centre. A waterfall style fountain falling from the sidewalk above into the pool could be a solution to debris floating in. The waterfall would also cover up the underbelly of the road. In the winter, it could be frozen over and turned into an ice rink.

Of course, the parking garage needs to be demolished as soon as possible. With the Queens Quay redevelopment, the value of that real estate just shot up dramatically. They could definitely apply for a new tower with underground parking for the entire complex.

Last edited:

Back