Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

I actually like the paint job so far. I like the different shades. The buildings look awful so I think almost anything would be an improvement. I just hope they are using some special paint that lasts for 10 years or more as it will look even worse if the paint starts to chip.

Regarding the basin out front, what about putting in a pond fountain like http://bit.ly/1qj2rsI ?
It will keep the water circulating, fix the garbage collection problem, and you can light it up at night. I'd also rip out the current terrace around it (as it acts as too much of a barrier) and surround it with steps from waters edge up to a walk around path for store access. Much like http://bit.ly/Xcxe1W
There would need to be a small chain around the water's edge for safety of course. Similar to our Harbourfront boardwalk http://bit.ly/1xwRsyE

Masonry facade seems in good shape and will only be strengthened by a coat of paint. I don't see it chipping. Latex doesn't peel like oil. It slowly disintegrates.

I think, like any "in" colour, the grey fad will die down in a couple years and will start to appear dated around 5 years from now. 7 years ago tans and browns were still all the rage for decor and facades. Usually these colours are always indoors decor however and not as permanent as say an entire building's facade.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 3A7

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 201865 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Aug 5, 2014

Project: Multiple-Use Building Sign

Description: Proposal to see if a permit would be allowed to build a 836m2 green wall that will include a topiary sign/logo as a portion of the wall.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 3A7

Application#: 14 201865 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Aug 5, 2014

Project: Multiple-Use Building Sign

Description: Proposal to see if a permit would be allowed to build a 836m2 green wall that will include a topiary sign/logo as a portion of the wall.

interesting...

I got notice tonight they are going to be replacing the Windows and be doing Masonry Repairs starting soon. Work will take 6 months - and they will be doing Saturday's if needed to keep to the schedule. It also makes it sound like they'll be doing the work during the winter. They will be doing the Windows Vertical, but they didnt mention about what direction the Masonry repairs will go. Also they didnt mention what colours they are using. If you look at the test windows you'll notice they are using different blinds as well.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 3A7

Application#: 14 224858 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Sep 22, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floor locker & amenity spaces to convert to 15 residential units in existing mixed-use building.

there has been some talk about a possible class action lawsuit regarding that. They took away all the lockers from 350 and forced them into some cramped spaces in 390 now, and a lot of people were/are upset about it.

They have now started painting the otherside of 390 queens quay ... in the same pattern. Work likely stopped during the summer as the rooftop's are opened to residents during the summer. No update on the window replacement .. but they havent cleaned the windows in over a year now - thats why I didnt bother taking a picture.

And I got another .. grim update. Painting of the brickwork will resume on March 30th. At that time, window replacement will also begin. It is expected to take 8 months to complete... so this building will be well under construction, about half way through when the pan-am's roll around. The 18th floor of the west side of 390 will be the first to get new windows. There will be a open house for residents sometime this month so I'll make sure to get some pictures at that time.

Well that promised open house never came - but a notice that arrived today stating we can't use the ground floor starting monday until July also included the first render I've seen, sorry about the crease in the middle, they decided to fold the notice for the first time ever:

render1.jpg

And honestly ... no idea what they are doing with the Quay.

At the north side of the Quay there is an 'artwork' - was it ever a fountain/water feature? It looks rather like it was and if so will it ever work again?

Rather poor photo from Streetview:

mlq.jpg

Attachments

• mlq.jpg
    mlq.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,535
Last edited by a moderator:
It broke - they repaired it, and then the new owners came and it hasnt been on since. Judging by the renders - it'll be gone soon.

It broke - they repaired it, and then the new owners came and it hasnt been on since. Judging by the renders - it'll be gone soon.
If it was part of a 'public art component' when the building was built I think it has to stay. It is (presumably) on public property - though the City property map is a bit confusing - to me anyway.

Back