Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

I always thought of it as "Maple Leaf Quay", i.e. the feature which the condo is named after. (And named for the Maple Leaf Mills silos that stood here until 1983--commemorated in the quayside sculpture BTW.)

I think the answer would be a very firm "NO". Though the pond (actually called Peter Street Basin) is currently not very pleasant it could be much improved, and not by filling it in.

I don't think this pond needs to be a waterfront feature at all, and it would be best to sell it off for in-fill development as I suggested. The city could make some needed money, and get a much better development there scaled to the street with retail and restaurants right off of QQ. This Peter Street Basin clearly did not work out as intended, so why not reconsider the basic idea of such a basin on the north side of QQ? It was conceived in an era long before H20 Park existed across the street. Where will the money come from to improve the current pond in the absence of new condo and commercial development on site?

I don't think this pond needs to be a waterfront feature at all, and it would be best to sell it off for in-fill development as I suggested. The city could make some needed money, and get a much better development there scaled to the street with retail and restaurants right off of QQ. This Peter Street Basin clearly did not work out as intended, so why not reconsider the basic idea of such a basin on the north side of QQ? It was conceived in an era long before H20 Park existed across the street. Where will the money come from to improve the current pond in the absence of new condo and commercial development on site?
-
No thanks, I would prefer retain a feature that most developers wouldn't bother keeping these days (see Aa's failed East Bayfront proposal). What could happen, though, is that Waterfront Toronto (once they get their finances in order), funds 50% of the revitalization of the space, with the developer funding the remainder (and perhaps retaining a right to develop the current podium into another tower). I would see a mirrored Wavedeck being installed, with some walkways criss-crossing the slip. I would probably widen the walkways on the sides of the slip a bit more, get rid of the fences, and add trees and greenery. See, problem fixed.

that would be an improvement over what we have now, but still requiring substantial public money through Waterfront Toronto. Whatever they do, I hope we don't get any more wavedecks -- they are an expensive fad that will not wear well in my opinion.

You're talking about the Peter Street Basin/"pond" as if it were built specifically when the apartments around it went it. It wasn't built for these buildings, the basin was bridged by Queen's Quay, creating a bit of a cove at the end. It's a piece of the lake.

I agree it's dreary, I'm not sure that filling it in and plunking down another tower in the middle is the answer though. Anything connected to infill will cost plenty, and not just for the physical changes but for the lawyers and planners, environmental studies, etc. Why not get a marina in there for small boats (that can get under the bridge), and get the walkways around it landscaped?

It badly needs something.

You're talking about the Peter Street Basin/"pond" as if it were built specifically when the apartments around it went it. It wasn't built for these buildings, the basin was bridged by Queen's Quay, creating a bit of a cove at the end. It's a piece of the lake.

I agree it's dreary, I'm not sure that filling it in and plunking down another tower in the middle is the answer though. Anything connected to infill will cost plenty, and not just for the physical changes but for the lawyers and planners, environmental studies, etc. Why not get a marina in there for small boats (that can get under the bridge), and get the walkways around it landscaped?

It badly needs something.

Gondolier type service - main hub/station perhaps?

last week I got the meeting invite for all the reno's they are doing.. next Wednesday in 370 QQ in a party room. I think - and other tennants too they vastly underrated the amount of people that will show up. Among the renos, they are redoing the commercial space, the lobby, adding new units but oddly no mention of the windows or paint - which extend's to the parking garage roof now. The new units would be added where the storage lockers are in 350 (3rd to 5th floor above the beer store / marine store / that area), however there is a huge battle between tenants and the owner as they are trying to force everyone to have a smaller locker in 390 instead.

The work seems to have stopped and crews appear to be gone (at least on the west side of the building).

Looks terrible so far.

This wasn't very good architecture in the first place, but at least it existed as a relic of its time. Now it looks like a black and white picture of freeze-dried ice cream...

12-days-astronaugh.jpg

Well - the normal twice a year window cleaning is now many months behind... and you can guess with the construction on Queens Quay is getting to the point you can't see out the window anymore. I bet they are just giving a month to make sure materials hold up - and then the window replacement begins.

Eventually these could be demolished along with the parking garage, a considerably taller twin tower replacement with the same amount of rental units in the bottom half of one of the buildings and underground parking. That would make much more sense than these outdated, overpriced rental relics. (though I am a fan of the brick).

Back