Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

RC8

Member Bio
Reaction score
I posted the info below in the EIFS thread, but I'm also posting this here to keep track of whatever they do to this poor thing. I'll post pictures as the 'modernization' advances.

I urge you to email the manager to get this stopped, though.

Guys, we need to stop one of the biggest disasters this list has ever seen:

14475482684_8e884215bd_b.jpg

14475379242_690568f9cc_c.jpg

The owners of Maple Leaf Quay are 'modernizing' their building, and they think painting it to 'match' other waterfront condos is a good idea. I called them and told them this is a terrible mistake, but I need more people to explain to them that if anything, this will bring property values down.

Please email their manager at:

alex@mapleleafquay.net

There may still be time to stop the whole thing and save this dignified high-profile waterfront building from becoming a an architectural scar. Pictures don't do the awfulness of the new treatment justice.

This site will be somewhat of a heritage site in the future, and we should protect its integrity while we can:

8583842.jpg

I posted the info below in the EIFS thread, but I'm also posting this here to keep track of whatever they do to this poor thing. I'll post pictures as the 'modernization' advances.

I urge you to email the manager to get this stopped, though.

I don't think there much that could be done to make it look worse.

AoD

To may thing worse, they want to remove a storage area and add 15 more units if this the correct building I saw the notice on for committee of adjustment on Friday

350, 370 & 390 QQ. They want to increase office and retail space also. Hearing is on June 25.

The humanity. We need to preserve these uglies in all their 1980s cheapness.. An improvement to non descript simply won't due. Damn owners paying too much and then updating these tired buildings to make up the difference.

What's next? The condo corporations down the street get ideas from this?

Last edited:
There may still be time to stop the whole thing and save this dignified high-profile waterfront building from becoming a an architectural scar. Pictures don't do the awfulness of the new treatment justice.

This building was an architectural scar since day one. The only treatment that's truly needed is the wrecking ball.

Can it get any worse than it is now? I say any attempt to change this building is probably a good thing. I have hated these condos for 30 years or more. (basically from the day they went up)

Last edited:
This building was an architectural scar since day one. The only treatment that's truly needed is the wrecking ball.

Fair enough, but its bland current incarnation is infinitely better left alone than cheaply 'modernized' to "look like" a contemporary condo (you know, since so many contemporary condos have exterior walls of painted white brick).

What's happening here is akin to this, except starting off with a worse off building but at a much larger scale:

DSC01562_zpsdebc7919.jpg~original

We will end up with something just as dated, with all the defects of the original, but trying desperately to be something it is not. At least the current incarnation is a textbook example of a neoliberal post-modernist approach to housing.

Fair enough, but its bland current incarnation is infinitely better left alone than cheaply 'modernized' to "look like" a contemporary condo (you know, since so many contemporary condos have exterior walls of painted white brick).

What's happening here is akin to this, except starting off with a worse off building but at a much larger scale:

We will end up with something just as dated, with all the defects of the original, but trying desperately to be something it is not. At least the current incarnation is a textbook example of a neoliberal post-modernist approach to housing.

Except the image you've posted is an EIFS refinishing, whereas MLQ is being painted; at least the texture and patterning of the brick will be retained. The biggest issue here is its potential appearance a few years down the road if the paint isn't judicially maintained. Lest we have 21 storeys of this.

I don't really care what they're doing to the towers (the black mullions will be an improvement), but the ground floor needs to be entirely rethought. Some trees, please!

Last edited:
To may thing worse, they want to remove a storage area and add 15 more units if this the correct building I saw the notice on for committee of adjustment on Friday

350, 370 & 390 QQ. They want to increase office and retail space also. Hearing is on June 25.

The storage was removed last year ... the hearing is regarding two variances regarding visitor's parking. It sounds like they have all the other permits set. Also - I know some of the brick is bad shape, the 15th floor of 390 they have to actually start replacing some of the brick.

And one other thing - Maple Leaf Quay is owned by company who only .. at one point .. develops Condo's in Vancouver. This is their only rental property right now. I suspect those new 15 units might be condo's and both buildings may be converted to condo's in the near future.

Paint is very different from EIFS. My biggest issue with EiFS is its durability (the same can be said with a Alucobond variation) and the aesthetic choices made. It can also look really good.

$300,000 paid per unit by a retirement company in Vancouver. Major changes for this tired development were inevitable.

This is their only rental property right now. .

All along I thought this nightmare was a condo. If this is a rental property then what is really stopping the owner from tearing this monstrosity down and replacing them with something similar to their neighbours?
Heck they could even sell in a minute at that location with an ultraomodern design.

Back