Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

Presentation from the March WT DRP - HUGE improvement:

(Pacific Reach/Quadrangle)

AoD

I agree, I like the new styling quite a bit. Personally though, I would've preferred if the west side (in red) was removed and additional height given to the tower (in blue). I can't get over the separation distance differences on the West and East sides.

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.53.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.53.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.53.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.54.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.54.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.54.21 AM.png

I agree, I like the new styling quite a bit. Personally though, I would've preferred if the west side (in red) was removed and additional height given to the tower (in blue). I can't get over the separation distance differences on the West and East sides.

View attachment 177825

One of the things I like most about it is the consistent height. I also like the varied massing. I rather see some density lost and a thinner tower if separation is a huge issue. The towers are close together but, there's enough gap. I do think planners may disagree with me.

Those are some really beautiful render styles. Which we could see more in this style (less lens flare, overexposure and omission of neighboring structures).

Personally I think the ground level needs to be more human-scaled and protected from the elements- maybe glass awnings and tree planters would work?

I recall the space is fairly exposed to both the sun and wind.

Personally I think the ground level needs to be more human-scaled and protected from the elements- maybe glass awnings and tree planters would work?

I recall the space is fairly exposed to both the sun and wind.

I don't know the conditions here or where the sun usually is so it's conceivable to me that maybe this space will become if anything overly shaded with all the buildings around, but it seems like it might be pretty exposed and I find that in general from parks (aka fields of grass) to streets (wide deserts of concrete) Toronto loves to create big open way-too-sunny hostile spaces. I don't really understand it. I guess people like the sun, but for me going out when it's at all warm always feels like plotting a course between rare patches of shade or being extremely uncomfortable.

Generally otherwise I really like this though, including that possibly too sunny water area. Great to see this car free kind of pedestrian small-scale zone with shops and stuff that also connects with the lake coming in under the street activated even more. It's kind of an interesting space.

Speaking of the cars though, they're out back with a vengeance. It continues to be hilarious to me that Toronto's as a city is like no we *insist* on building a cyberpunk dystopia cityscape where we have a crumbling elevated highway rumbling right next to cheaply-built luxury-priced condos, but it seems like that's where the city is heading whether that's a good idea or not (and hey, I like cyberpunk so I've embraced it lol) so we might as well build right up to it and integrate it. And I just realized it will provide some blessed shade!!

Lots of mistakes were made along the lake so it will be interesting to see how they plan to mitigate it. This is a big improvement but I doubt that area near the ferry terminal will can ever recover.. unless they take those buildings down.

I don't know the conditions here or where the sun usually is so it's conceivable to me that maybe this space will become if anything overly shaded with all the buildings around, but it seems like it might be pretty exposed and I find that in general from parks (aka fields of grass) to streets (wide deserts of concrete) Toronto loves to create big open way-too-sunny hostile spaces. I don't really understand it. I guess people like the sun, but for me going out when it's at all warm always feels like plotting a course between rare patches of shade or being extremely uncomfortable.

Generally otherwise I really like this though, including that possibly too sunny water area. Great to see this car free kind of pedestrian small-scale zone with shops and stuff that also connects with the lake coming in under the street activated even more. It's kind of an interesting space.

Maybe just a line of trees along the rear of the basin- mainly to soften the lines?

I found the space sort of bleak-feeling when I was there- it felt like a semi-enclosed circle of brick and concrete pavers that was sort of windy, empty and barren. I also wonder if there might be some opportunity to remove the railings and have some stairs down into the water.

Back